Archiver > SCT-INVERNESS > 2003-08 > 1061141823

From: Douglas MacKenzie <>
Subject: [SCT-INV] The Clearances continue
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:37:03 +0100

Hello all

While most of the work we do at the Highland Clearances project
is about evictions in the 18th and 19th century, the fundamental
problems of security of tenure and absentee landlords continue
to this day. We received an email this weekend from Finlay
Macdonald, albeit in Lewis rather than Inverness-shire, but the
problem could occur anywhere in the Highlands where land has
not been brought into community ownership.

This is not about genealogy directly, although it helps explain why
many of you are reading this message in Canada, Australia or
America, rather than Scotland. It is about real problems which
continue to face people living in the Highlands today. Read his
story, and related press articles at

Best Wishes

The Highland Clearances

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (