SCT-ISLAY-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLAY > 1999-10 > 0939989114

From: Antonia Sinclair< >
Subject: Re: [SCT-ISLAY] Re: McQueen family from Islay, Sct.
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 08:05:14 -0400 (EDT)

FLORA ROBERTSON:

I'm not sure where you might find a copy of the History of Simcoe County, it was
originally printed in 1909, reprinted in 1949. From your address, I see you live in Canada. You might try the local libraries' reference departments.

The chapter on Duntroon gives a list of 21 original settlers, many from Islay,
and "John McQueen" is among them. I didn't see anything more written about him.
However, at the back of the book is a chapter that lists pioneers before 1831
in Nottawasaga Township - Donald McQueen, lot 23, Conc 5; John McQueen, lot35(n1/2), Conc. 11, Neil McQueen, lot 33, Conc. 12.

JOAN TREGARTHEN:

McAllister inscription reads: John McAllister, 1861-1938
Sarah M. Wright, 1863-1941

DAN WOODROW: I found another Currie reference: Peter Currie had been killed by a falling tree in March, 1835. One of his sons, John Currie, afterward settled on lot 35, con. 12, and another James Currie, on lot 38, conc. 10.Hugh Currie came to Canada in 1833, and lived for some time in Oro, but in 1836 he settled on lot 28, con8, near Duntroon, where he lived for upwards of 56 years....he
died 1893.

More cemeteries follow.

Toni

This thread: