SCT-ISLAY-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLAY > 1999-10 > 0940525522

From: "olive haggett" <>
Subject: [SCT-ISLAY] Islay People - Simcoe County Cemeteries
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:05:22 EDT

Following a busy summer, I finally found time to check out the Islay mailing
list and was very interested to find all the mail regarding Simcoe County
cemeteries and especially the references to the CURRIE families. Antonia
Sinclair really got my attention when she mentioned that several Islay
families started out in Peel and Wellington counties only to move north to
the Stayner area. My husband's (Wayne) g-g-g-grandmother Jane (McNiven)
Currie d Feb. 8, 1849 and is buried in the church yard of a small white
church (maybe Melville church) on Mississauga Rd. just south of the village
of Belfountain. ON. Following the death of her husband, Lachlan on Islay,
she came to the Caledon area via Newark, NJ with her 11 children in or
around 1832. The following is a list of her children. Maybe some of them
moved north of Caledon.

John m Christina Reid
Archie m Nancy McNabb
Donald m Janet Mcgregor
Duncan m Mary Currie
Margaret m Gilbert McArthur
Mary m Colin McMillan
Christina m John McLaughlin
Peter m Margaret McLean
Neil m Janet McNab
Flora m Malcolm (or Peter) McNiven
Alexander m Nancy (or Ann) McDougal

We are planning a trip to southern Ontario in the next few weeks and
wondered if the Duntroon cemetery is difficult to find. Any directions
would be much appreciated. We definitely will make a stop there and also
check out the cemetery near Belfountain.

Rona Currie