SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 1999-01 > 0915895463

From: "Mary M. Hoff" <>
Subject: Newbie posting
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 07:24:23 -0800

Hi,

I have just recently joined this forum so the following is a brief outline
of my family connections to Mull.

My 5x g. grandfather, Donald McLean, born in Kilviceon Parish (the Ross of
Mull) about 1710.
Only known child, Neil McLean, was born about 1750 in Kilviceon Parish.

4 known children of Neil McLean were:
John McLean (born prior to 1790 and died 1823 at Knocknafenaig)
Hugh McLean (born 1790 at Knocknafeniag and died 1872 Bentinck Twsp, Grey
Co., Ont.)
Donald McLean (born 1791 at Knocknafenaig and died 1885 Saugeen Twsp, Bruce
Co., Ont)
Ann McLean (born 1803? at Knocknafenaig, married Alex Cameron and died
after 1871 in Bentinck Twsp, Grey Co., Ont--she is Ida's ancestor).

Two of Neil McLean's sons, Hugh and Donald each married 2 of the 7 Beaton
sisters of Archiavaig, Kilviceon Parish.
Hugh married Catherine Beaton. Hugh and Catherine and their family
emigrated to Canada and settled in Bentinck Township, Grey Co. in 1847.

Donald married Sarah (Moran) Beaton. Donald and Sarah were my 3x great
grand parents and they had 8 children, 6 of whom survived to adulthood and
they all came to Bentinck in 1852. Their children were: John, Neil,
Elizabeth, Archiie, Malcom and Margaret.

John McLean, married Margaret "Peggy" McPhail, daughter of Ann Henderson
and Hugh McPhail at Fidden, Iona Parish, Mull in 1846. Hugh McPhail was
the herdsman at Fidden farm and died in 1832. Peggy 's mother, Ann, her
brother, John McPhail, and sisters, Ann and Flora, also emigrated to Grey
Co. settling in Egremont township.

John and Peggy McLean were my gg grandparents and had two children, Sarah
(Moran) born 1847 at Knocknafenaig and Hugh (my g. grandfather) born 1850
at Knocknafenaig. Peggy died at Bentinck in 1859 and Donald raised the
two children. He remarried in 1870 to Sarah McGilvray and moved to
Manitowaning, Manitoulin Island. Hugh and Sarah also settled there.

Hugh McLean married Elizabeth Campbell Mitchell in 1881 at Assiginack
Twnsp, Manitoulin Island and they had 4 children: Margaret, Harold, John
Campbell (my grandfather) and Harvey. Hugh and his family moved to
Rudyard, Michigan in 1891.

John Campbell McLean married Mabel Gillespie and they had 7 children all
born in Rudyard, Michigan: Merton, Warner, Edgar (my father), Bernice,
Lloyd, Jack and Helen.

Edgar McLean married Louise Briggs in 1934 and they had 5 children:
Thomas, David, Mary-Ellen (me), James and Ann Louise,

I am, of course, looking for any cousins but I am also trying to trace
descendants of the other 5 children of Donald McLean and Sarah Beaton. I
will put together what information I have on them and post it here in a few
days.

Mary McLean Hoff
.Tustin, California

This thread: