SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2001-03 > 0983608879

From: "Jo Currie" <>
Subject: Fencibles etc. for Frank
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 08:41:19 -0000

Murdoch Maclaine of Lochbuy recruited some Mull people into the regiment he
served in, later in his life, which was the Dunbartonshire Fencibles, but
there is much evidence of people on the estate of Lochbuy refusing to join.
In 1795 the tenants wrote letters to MM saying they would not allow their
sons to volunteer,but on the other hand there was clear evidence that they
were volunteering for the Militia in 1803[MULL, p.213]. Iona people are also
documented as refusing to let their sons join the Militia in 1799.
[INSTRUCTIONS, ed Eric Cregeen p.195.] In 1795 Robert Stewart of
Achadashenaig wrote that he might as well offer to take their [the people's]
heads off as send them [to an army regiment]. It seems that men
traditionally enlisted with the man at the head of their estate, so for the
Argyll estates it was the Duke's son, George William Campbell, Marquis of
Lorn, who was recruiting in the late 1700s and early 1800s for the Militia.
Men enlisted with Charles Maclean of Drimnin according to the Statistical
Account of Kilfinichen & Kilvicheoun. Charles was briefly the heritor in
Brolass, so men would have gone from Kinloch and the area around Loch
Scridain with him. Charles is also called 'Kinlochaline'. He appears to have
been Lieutenant Colonel in the Fencibles raised by Macdonald of Glengarry in
1794, so some Mull men must have gone into that. [National Archives of
Scotland, GD174/2236/4] I don't know where the Torloisk estate people would
have enlisted after the death of Major Clephane, but some recruiting was
done by him around 1800. On the Quinish estate (around Dervaig) some men
would have gone with Alexander Maclean of Coll. From letters between
landowners we can see a lot of competition betwen the heritors for men.
Frank, you can see how complicated this whole question is. It is another
field where one absolutely has to know the ESTATE one's ancestor hailed
from. I'm not much good on Army matters, I'm afraid. Military service in
Mull is so complex it would make a study of its own. Jo Currie, Edinburgh.

This thread: