SCT-RENFREW-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-RENFREW > 2007-05 > 1178411863

From: "Lynn Hamilton" <>
Subject: Re: [SCT-RENFREW] Paisley Poor house/relief records
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 20:37:43 -0400

Hiya:

Paisley Museum/Library (Local Studies Dept) has the Poorhouse Records for
Paisley complete. I researched them on site on a recent trip to Scotland
(what a treasure trove -- found more info than anticipated) and also the
staff will do your search for a fee if you contact them by internet, or
better, a Paisley buddy may volunteer to spend an hour or two with the books
to find what you need -- my gggrandfather died at the Poorhouse just after
the 100 bed hospital section was built in 1897 or so -- from that Poorhouse
(or Poor Relief Record) record I found out about his Paisley address (when
he had one), his employer/job, his wife , his parents, his birthplace in
Ireland, his children's names and their spouses and their residences
(including those that had emigrated to OZ and NZ) -- just a wonderful
resource -- good luck

Lynn