SCT-ROYAL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ROYAL > 2001-06 > 0991565015

From: "Colin Darby" <>
Subject: OLGIVY/SPENCE
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 20:43:35 +1000

Relisting my researching for OGILVY **** We have David OGILVY (Painter) of Edinburgh who married Catharina Spence on 2nd July 1801 at Tolbooth Church Parish Edinburgh---David lived at "Burnet's Close, House 312 Lawnmarket Edinburgh" (as according to the Post Office Annual Directory 1820-1821). David and Catharina had a son David Ogilvy born 1804 who did his apprenticeship at The Signet Law Firm Edinburgh starting on 26th July 1832, graduated to Solicitor and in 1839 was appointed by the British Government as Crown Solicitor in Australia..All we have on Catharina's father John SPENCE of Edinburgh that he was a painter too!.**** We have a copy of David/Catharina's marriage certificate and postal registers from which we obtained the information as shown above. *************With the help of a Kind Lister who found for us four OGILVY'S which do appear to be ours; they are William Spence OGILVY b 28/12/1806, Catharine OGILVY b 16/12/1808, Thomas Davidson OGILVY b 1/10/1813 an!
d Catharine Ogilvy b 7/3/1811. showing their Father David OGILVY and mother Catharine Mrs SPENCE.********
********Census shows for Thomas Davidson Ogilvy "Dwelling: 11 Lothian St Census Place: Edinburgh Canongate, Edinburgh, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0224005 GRO Ref Volume 685-4 EnumDist 38 Page 6 Marr Age Sex Birthplace Thomas Davidson OGILVY U 68 M Edinburgh, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Annuitant*********
, Would like someone who has access to the Census for this period to look for further information on the Ogilvy's!. We now also at a standstill at the brick wall trying to locate or find the further details of David/Chatarina's parents!
For further history on our "David" click on this Web page to view the information!http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/minibios/o/ogilvy.htm
Any suggestions!!!!!!
Regards,
Colin Darby