SCT-STIRLINGSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-STIRLINGSHIRE > 2003-03 > 1046807224

Subject: [SCT-STIRLINGSHIRE] Re: HORE-RUTHVEN / The Earl of Gowrie
Date: 4 Mar 2003 12:47:04 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/FgC.2ACI/1917.1

Message Board Post:

>In 1853 the Ruthven barony not for the first time descended to a female, the Hon. Mary Elizabeth Thornton Ruthven (c. 1784-1864) the wife of Walter Hore ( 1784 - 1878). She and her husband took the name of Hore-Ruthven and thei grandson, Walter James Hore-Ruthven (b. 1838) became the 8th baron in 1864. The foregoing said, I am trying to find the connection of the 8th baron if any, with The Hon. Alexander Gore Arkwright Hore-Ruthven b. 6 July 1872 d. 2 May 1955 who as Captain, 3 Bn., The Highland Light Infantry, British Army, won the Victoria Cross, 22 Sept. 1898, Gedarif, Sudanese War, achieved the rank of Brigadier General, was Governor General of Australia 1936-44 and later became The Earl of Gowrie. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who might be able to fill some family gaps.

In 1782, James Ruthven (1733-1789) became heir of line of his paternal great-great-grandfather, Sir Thomas Ruthven, who was created Lord Ruthven of Freeland in 1651. As James was not the heir male of the body of the grantee of this title (because the 1st Lord's only son and heir - the 2nd Lord Ruthven of Freeland - died without issue in 1701, at which time the peerage title is presumed to have become extinct), he could not claim to be "de jure" (which means "a thing done according to law; by right; legitimate") Lord Ruthven of Freeland. Nevertheless, James give himself (in the manner known as "suo jure", which means "in his own right", or self-styled) the title 6th Lord Ruthven of Freeland in 1782. At his death seven years later (in 1789), his son James Ruthven (1777-1853) became "suo jure" 7th Lord Ruthven of Freeland.

The self-styled 7th Lord Ruthven of Freeland married, but died without issue in 1853. His only surviving sister and heir, Mary Elizabeth Thornton Ruthven (Thornton being one of her Christian names) became "suo jure" 9th Lady Ruthven of Freeland. In 1806, Mary (ca 1784-1864) married Walter Hore (1784-1878). They and heir issue took the surname Hore-Ruthven after her brother's death in 1853.

The 9th Lady Ruthven of Freeland had six sons and six daughters, the eldest son being William Hore-Ruthven. William married and had issue, but died in his mother's lifetime in 1847. At Lady Ruthven of Freeland's death in 1864, she was therefore "succeeded" by her grandson Walter James Hore-Ruthven (1838-1921) as "suo jure" 9th Lord Ruthven of Freeland. Lord Ruthven of Freeland (Walter) was created Baron Ruthven of Gowrie in October 1919. He had married (in 1869) Lady Caroline Annesley Gore (Annesley being one of her Christian names) (d. 1914), daughter of the 4th Earl of Arran.

The 1st Lord Ruthven of Gowrie (and 9th Lord Ruthven of Freeland) and his wife Caroline had four sons and one daughter. Their eldest son was Walter Patrick Hore-Ruthven (1870-1956), who succeeded as 2nd Lord Ruthven of Gowrie (and as "suo jure" 10th Lord Ruthven of Freeland) in 1921. Their younger son was Honourable Alexander Gore Arkwright Hore-Ruthven (1872-1955). Alexander was created Baron Gowrie in December 1935, and subsequently created Earl of Gowrie in January 1945.

For more fuller details, see the entries for the Earls of Carlisle and Earls of Gowrie in *Burke's Peerage & Baronetage*, 106th edition, 1999, and see *The Complete Peerage*, 2nd edition (microprint edition, 2000), Vol. XI (Appendix X: "Soi-Disant Scottish Peers: Ruthven and Rutherford"), as well as Vol. XIII (pages 323 & 560), and Vol. XIV (page 726).

This thread: