SCT-WIGTOWNSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-WIGTOWNSHIRE > 2004-09 > 1095509810

From: "Diana Henry" <>
Subject: Re: [WIG LIST] KILPATRICK, William, born about 1690 - 1700
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:21:12 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 5:59 PM

Hi Edna, fortunately I have this book which may help you in your research :-

MILMANNOCH

This extract is taken form "The Last Miller" The Cornmills of Ayrshire, by
James Pearson Wilson F.S.A. (Scot).
Compiled by Agnes M. Wilson and Susan W. Smith BSc.
Published by Aryshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and printed
by Walker & Connell Ltd. Hastings Square, Darvel, Ayrshire.

"Milmannoch or Kilmanoch - cell of the monk - was in the barony of Sundrum
and was possessed in 1373 by Sir Duncan Wallace, who had also the barony of
Dalmellington. He was married to Eleanor Bruce, countess of Carrick, but
died without issue and was succeeded by his nephew Sir Allan Cathcart, who
through his mother succeeded to the barony of Auchincruive, thus uniting it
with Sundrum and Dalmellington. By 1713, much of the land had been sold and
what was left was united into one free barony under the name of Cathcart.
Millmannoch was still retained, being the barony mill, and at that time,
holding a large amount of multures.
The sale of the barony of Cathcart by Charles Shaw of Sauchrie, Lord
Cathcart, was in 1758. It was bought by James Murray of Broughton. The new
owner sold the Sundrum part to John Hamilton and it remained with the family
for one hundred and fifty five years - "the Miln of Milnmannoch with miln
lands, multures sucen and sequels of the same." the lands of Milnmannoch
and Bankhead, all possessed by John Morton, were a detached part and were
included in the sale of John Hamilton the weir, on the Water of Coyle, was
at Mill 0'Shiel. the old water wheel there used to discharge its water into
Millmannoch Dam from which a lade conducted the water to the retaining dam
above the mill at Millmannoch. From there the power was regulated to the
water wheel.
Up to 1884, the old gears and breast wheel were still in use but a new iron
bucket "overshot" was put in with new gear for one pair of stones. This,
however, was found to be unsatisfactory and in 1902 the whole machinery was
again cleared out, including the water wheel, and a Hercules turbine
installed having a speed of 450 revolutions and, at the "gate" when fully
opened 600 cubic feet of water per minute. The water supply was by means of
one 21in. diameter pipe. The drive on the main shaft was by a belt.
AUSTRIAN STONES
The mill was fitted with three pairs of stones - one pair of Kameshill for
shelling, one pair of French burr for finishing oatmeal and one pair
"Eversharp" for provender. The last named stones were invented and made by
Joseph Trapp, Pilsten, Austria-Hungary, and the first of these stones that
arrvied in Scotland came to this mill. The stone was first cooked in ovens,
then broken and stamped down till about the size of rough sawdust. It was
then mixed with liquid cement, put into a mould and pressed like a cheese in
a chisset. It was more easily made than the older stones and was co
nsequently much cheaper. It was also more easily maintained and made a
satisfactory job.
the lade from the weir at Mill O'Shiel was about threequarters of a mile
long and whilst cleaning it, three stone axes were found. One of them was
flint of the "Doggerbank" or "Grime's Graves" class. This was well shaped,
rounded on the face with the other end narrow and had been sharp.
Archaeologist cleaned two or three of the so-called graves or holes and
proved that they were dug to procure flint for making axes and other sharp
tools many thousands of years ago. Near Thetford, there are hundreds of
these pits still to open and be examined. The travel down the river made
the axe rough. On the flat it was seven inches long and three at the face.
It may have been moving down the river when King Coyle was crossing at
Knockmurran with his army of Britons.
At the beginning of the eighteenth century this mill was occupied by a
family called Kilpatrick, who also carried on the trade of blackmith. At
that time, milling lasted about seven months of the year - September to
April - and, consequently, millers had to look for other work for the
remainder of the year. Early in the twentieth century, part of the smithy
was still standing and, in front of it, there was a large boulder of granite
sunk to the levelk of the ground with a "dog" fixed into it for cart wheel
shods.

HANDSOME NELL
Here Allan Kilpatrick was born on October 4, 1725. He removed to Percluan
with his father and followed him in the carrying on the two trades. He was
the father of handsome Nell of the first song by Burns. Over the hill to
Mount Oliphant was no great distance, being about one and a half miles.
This is the mill of the "Soldier's Return" by Burns. We often see a
highlander pictured as the returning soldier, but this was not the
highlander. Instead it was a soldier of the Royal North British Fusiliers
that the poet wished to honour in this ballad. Depot No1 of the regiment
was in Ayr and No2 in Dumfries. The soldiers generally took their discharge
at Dumfries and found their own way home. Burns sometimes met them in or
about Brownhill Inn, had conversation with them and so he pictured the scene
on the Coyle. He knew the road well, having been seen passing the mill on
several occasions.
John Thom was in possission of the mill at that time and he used to tell of
seeing Bruns standing ont he road viewing the surrounding counry. the route
taken by the poet was described very accurately. Going in, near Coalhall,
he took a straight line for the footbridge at Caunstone - an abutnent of the
old bridge was still standing at the tine of writing. From there, he
stepped into the glen he describes as bonnie and about one hundred yards
found him at the "Trysting Thorn" and, in about the same distance again,
Nancy's mother's dwelling was reached. In the title deeds, it was call (ed)
Bankhead. A few stones were all that was left of the house in the 1940's."

> Hello all,
>
> My interest in this area is in trying to trace the parents of an early
Kilpatrick in our line.

> I have traced the family in Ayrshire. Many of them seem to have returned
to Closeburn at times, and had children born there, but they may also have
had connections in the Wigtownshire area.

> The earliest family member I have been able to trace so far was:
>
> William KILPATRICK and his wife, Hellen Craford. Their son Allen
KILPATRICK. was born at Millmannoch (Dalrymple Parish, Ayrshire) on 4
October 1725.

> I have no birth place or date for William, but am assuming he was born
about 1690 to 1700.

> Some of his grandchildren were born at Glencaird (Dalrymple Parish), and
so I assume a connection to Glencaird and Millmannoch in the
Wigtownshire/Galloway area.

> Are there any local records for bmd that I can purchase to try to trace
them further back in time? Or any MIs?

> Can anybody suggest a way of going back into the family in the 1600s?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated. We have no access to LDS FHC here, so
are unable to order films of the records, etc.