SCT-WIS-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-WIS > 2005-03 > 1110484379

From: "Yvette Moon" <>
Subject: Re: [SCT-WIS] New Admin Announcement
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:52:59 +1100

Joan,

Welcome, and I can imagine the huge effort it will take to catch up to the
plot in this movie theatre.

I have pasted 2 generations from the MacPherson family - One of my biggest
questions is - Martin b. April 1843 s/o Michael was apparently born in
Miramichi NB when the family was there for work - I cannot find any records
at all to support this. There may have been more born in NB but can't find
any records - in Census or the Church.

Thanks
Yvette

Descendants of Neil MacPherson

Generation No. 1

1. NEIL1 MACPHERSON was born in Bruthernish, Barra, Scotland1, and died 1821
in During the voyage over on the 'Harmony'. He married MARY MACNEIL 1772 in
Bruthernish, Barra, Scotland1. She was born in Barra, Inverness, SCOTLAND,
and died in Big Pond, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Notes for NEIL MACPHERSON:

Neil MacPherson Theory....

On a list of tenants taken on Barra in 1810/1811 only two MacPhersons
appear. There was a Rory MacPherson at Borve and an Alexander MacPherson who
also lived at Borve. It could be that the family of Neil MacPherson and Mary
MacNeil were living with Neil's son Roderick who eventually went to Cape
Breton in 1821. The Barra Parish records indicate that Neil was a resident
of Bruthernish. There was no Neil MacPherson listed on the 1810/1811
renters' list.

The Other MacPherson (Alexander) from the renters' list was likely married
to Marion (Sarah) Johnston. They had a daughter baptized on Barra. She was
likely the same Johstons as those that settled at the Red Islands. According
to Dr. Keith Branigan the name Johnston was never very common on Barra and
they were likely all related in some way. There are other MacPhersons who
were on Barra who also do not appear on this renters' list.

There was Angus MacPherson who reportedly came to Barra in April 1819. H was
from South Uist and his family line would be Angus s/o Calum of Benbecula
s/o Iain of Kilerivagh, Benbecula. Perhaps this line of MacPhersons is
connected to the family which came to Cape Breton. These Cape Breton
Macphersons very likely came to Barra from one of the nearby Islands.

Neil MacPherson and Mary MacNeil had a daughter Christy who married a
MacKenzie and settled at the Red Islands. Both her baptism record and the
census of 1871 indicate that she was born in 1814. Neil was described as of
Bruthernish at the time of the baptism. Consequently, the children born to
Neil MacPherson and mary MacNeil of Bruthernish during this time period on
Barra likely belong to this family.

I have seen Mary MacNeil MacPherson's land petition but don't have it here.
It is not on-line. but can be found at PANS. It would seem she mentions
having four children? These were likely the four youngest children who were
still under her care. I don't think this means that she only had four
children. Other children may have been from another marriage.

The Barra Church records indicate that Neil MacPherson of Bruthernish also
had a son John and a daughter Catherine who married on Barra. The son John
is likely the John MacPherson listed in TTHOB. John son of Neil and the John
who settled at Boisdale both married women named Margaret. According to
TTHOB John came on the Harmony in 1821. The family of Neil and Mary also
reported came on this ship in 1821. The daughter Catherine is the Catherine
who married Donald Currie. This family can also be found in TTHOB. According
to TTHOB Angus MacPherson was John MacPherson's Brother which would make him
another son of Neil.

More About NEIL MACPHERSON:

Occupation: Farmer

Notes for MARY MACNEIL:

Mary MacPherson left Barra on the Harmony and landed in Sydney Nova Scoatia
in 1821.

The earliest record of the MacPherson's settlement at Big Pond was in 1822.
In the year Mary MacPherson, age 50, widow, and native of Scotland requested
a land grant along St. Andrew's Channel which included the area now known as
Big Pond. It appears that Mary arrived in Big Pond with four children
Roderick, Murdock, Michael and Christine. Another daughter, Catherine, was
married to Donald Currie before leaving Scotland and settled in Boisdale.
From the information that has been available it seems that Mary was formerly
a MacNeil from the Isle of Barra who had been married to Neil MacPherson,
also of the Isle of Barra.

Five land grants were requested in common at this time and all were granted
in 1836. In their petitions Mary MacPherson was granted 200 acres, Roderick
MacPherson (her step son) was granted 184 acres, John MacKinnon was granted
202 acres, John Currie, age 30, native of Scotland was granted 184 acres and
Donald MacNeil, age 21 and native of Nova Scotia who had lived in Cape
Breton for eight years was granted 208 acres.

In 1821 land was purchased under the name of McNeil, John, No. 32 on the
south shore of St. Andrew's Channel, 200 acres. Mary was a MacNeil - so I
need to connect this land with John McNeil.

More About NEIL MACPHERSON and MARY MACNEIL:

Marriage: 1772, Bruthernish, Barra, Scotland1

Children of NEIL MACPHERSON and MARY MACNEIL are:

i. ANGUS2 MACPHERSON, m. SARAH MACINTYRE; b. 1793.

More About ANGUS MACPHERSON:

Residence: Boisdale, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

ii. CATHERINE 'CAITRIONA' MACPHERSON, b. Barra, Inverness, Scotland; d.
Boisdale; m. DONALD CURRIE, 14 February 1814, Bruthernish, Isle of Barra,
Scotland; b. 1783, Quire, Barra, Scotland.

Notes for CATHERINE 'CAITRIONA' MACPHERSON:

They lived in Boisdale.

More About CATHERINE 'CAITRIONA' MACPHERSON:

Residence: Settled in Boisdale

More About DONALD CURRIE and CATHERINE MACPHERSON:

Marriage: 14 February 1814, Bruthernish, Isle of Barra, Scotland

iii. RODERICK MACPHERSON (STEPSON), b. Abt. 1803, Bruthernish, Barra,
Scotland; d. Bef. 1871, Big Pond, Nova Scotia, Canada; m. CATHERINE
CAMPBELL, 20 May 1821, Isle of Barra, Scotland1; b. 1808, Tangasdale (at the
time of Marriage), Isle of Barra, Scotland1; d. Big Pond, Nova Scotia,
Canada.

Notes for RODERICK MACPHERSON (STEPSON):

As written in the notes from Murdock A MacPherson - Roderick was a stepson
of Mary according to the local information. He could have very well been an
early member of the family born before Mary and Neil were married. He
settled in the Big Pond area and was granted land as Roderick MacPherson
about a half mile to the West of Mary's grant. This land has remained in the
MacPherson family and is currently occupied by the family of the late Duncan
"Mick" MacPherson, Roderick's great great grandson.

Catherine and Roderick married in Barra on May 20 1821. They lived on lot
#28 consisting of 184 acres that had been granted to him at the same time
that his step mother's grant had been made in 1836. There was a home built
on the hill above the present home on the proprety. This land was located
about half a mile to the West of Mary's grant.

More About RODERICK MACPHERSON (STEPSON):

Property: 1836, Big Pond, Nova Scotia, Canada - Catherine Campbell and
Roderick received a land grant for lot #28 consisting of 184 acres. This was
the same time that his step mothers grant had been made in 1836. There was a
home built on the hill above the present home.

Notes for CATHERINE CAMPBELL:

Roderick married Catherine Campbell 20 May 1821.

Catherine had a Sister that Married a MacNeil at Bracks Brook, Big Pond.

Other Campbells from the same family had settled at Middle Cape, Grand
Narrows and Iona.

Big Pond 1871 Census

McPherson Michael m 36 NS Farmer m

Ann f 26 m

Catherine f 63 Scotland w

Marriage Notes for RODERICK (STEPSON) and CATHERINE CAMPBELL:

The record of their marriage is with the Barra Church Records

More About RODERICK (STEPSON) and CATHERINE CAMPBELL:

Marriage: 20 May 1821, Isle of Barra, Scotland1

iv. JOHN MACPHERSON, b. 1806, Bruthernish, Barra, Scotland2; m. MARGARET
MACNEIL, 1 October 1817, Bruthernish, Barra, Scotland3.

More About JOHN MACPHERSON:

Residence: Possibly settled in Boisdale

More About JOHN MACPHERSON and MARGARET MACNEIL:

Marriage: 1 October 1817, Bruthernish, Barra, Scotland3

v. MARY MACPHERSON, b. 1808.

vi. MICHAEL MACPHERSON (PIONEER), b. 1810, Barra, Scotland4; d. I had 1821
for his death - that cannot be (might be 1871); m. FLORA MACKENZIE; b. 1819,
could be 1811 * Red Islands, Nova Scotia4; d. 1895.

Notes for MICHAEL MACPHERSON (PIONEER):

The family lived in Big Pond on the Eastern end of his mothers land grand.
They left Big Pond sometime in the late 1800's or early 1900's to settle in
either Dominion or New Waterford.

Michael (71), his wife (63), son Johnathan (34) and daugther Lizzie (29) are
shown on the 1881 census as residents of Big Pond.

The Immaculate Conception Church, Bridgeport Census 1908 shows Flora living
with Anne McPherson.

Big Pond 1871 Census

McPherson Michael m 61 Scotland Farmer m

Flora f 52 NS m

Johnathan m 27 Farmer

Michael m 25 Laborer

Martin m 22 Laborer

Elizabeth f 20

Ann f 18

Rory m 12

*Note: Some of these ages are really knocked out of wack - we will have to
look for more up to date Census.

Bigpond 1881 Census

McPherson Michael m 74 Sc RC Sc Farmer m

Flora f 63 NS m

Jonathan m 0.4(44) Farmer

Lissey f 21

More About MICHAEL MACPHERSON (PIONEER):

Residence: 19861 Big Pond Census showing Michael McPherson living there (?)
check it out!

Notes for FLORA MACKENZIE:

1901 Census shows Flora living with Michael. her birthdate being 1811 and
age 99 which is incorrect. The proper calculation would be 90 in this case.

I previously had recorded 1811.

Lingan Mines 1891 Census

McPherson Florie 75 w Mother

*Note Flora is shown as widow -check previous records.

The Immaculate Conception Church, Bridgeport Census 1908 shows Flora living
with Anne McPherson.

More About FLORA MACKENZIE:

Census: 1871 showing her as being 52 years old which would bring her
birthday to 1819

vii. MURDOCK MACPHERSON, b. Abt. 1812, Isle Of Barra, Iverness, Scotland; m.
(2) SARAH CAMPBELL; b. 1816, Red Islands, Cape Breton5.

Notes for MURDOCK MACPHERSON:

Big Pond 1871 Census - name is spelt McPherson

McPherson Murdoch m 69 Scotland Farmer m

Sally f 55 NS m

Neil m 38 Carpenter

Hector m 30 Farmer

Sarah f 20

Martin m 23 Student

William m 20 Farmer

More About MURDOCK MACPHERSON:

Occupation: Farm

viii. CHRISTINE MACPHERSON, b. Abt. 1814, Barra, Inverness, SCOTLAND; m.
ALEXANDER MACKENZIE; b. 1809.

Endnotes

1. "Parish Register of Barra," Barra, Scotland.

2. TTHOB.

3. "Parish Register of Barra," Barra, Scotland.

4. 1871 Big Pond Census.

5. Nova Scotia Census of 1871.