SEARCY-L Archives

Archiver > SEARCY > 2001-12 > 1008454546

Subject: Bartlett Searcy and his Wife Lucy [Williams?] Installment One
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 17:15:46 EST

In some recent postings, there has been some discussion of Bartlett Searcy.
I am of the opinion that there MAY have been two men of the same name, as
there seem to have been two Reuben Searcys, who seemingly were
contemporaries.

Disclaimer: I am NO expert on the Searcy family. I became interested in the
family because of Lucy [--] Searcy, whose reported maiden name was Williams.
If this information is correct, which I have yet to prove, then she would be
my umpteen great-aunt. For this reason I have collected info re Bartlett
Searcy, in particular.

I am sharing this info in two installments, as it is rather long. If the cut
and pasting from Foxpro does not translate well, I apologize. Perhaps the
sources I have used in tracking down Lucy and her migrating husband will be
useful to other Searcy searchers. The first wife of Reuben Searcy was a
Henderson, and her mother was Elizabeth Williams before her marriage to
Samuel Henderson, the father of Col. Richard Henderson and a number of
others.

Please: You are free to use this information, but for goodness's sake (and
the sake of your progeny), use the citations. A genealogy is only as good as
its citations. In this case, most are secondary sources.

Preparer: Evelyn W. Wallace. Rev Aug 1998

BARTLETT SEARCY. (1730?-1784 KY or NC) The Williams family of Nutbush
Creek area of colonial Granville Co., NC is said to have been related to the
Searcys of the same county.

Lucy Williams, sister of the four brothers, John Williams, Esq. (d.
testate 1799), William Williams (d. testate at Boonesborough, Dec 1775)
Nathaniel Williams (d. testate ca 1831, Granville Co. NC WB 12-41), and
Charles Williams (d. testate ca 1819), is said to have been married to
Bartlett Searcy. No record of such a marriage has been found to date.

Lucy was the was daughter of John Williams Sr. (formerly of Goochland
Co. VA, later of Granville Co., NC). This information comes from Alvahn
Holmes in SOME FARRAR'S ISLAND DESCENDANTS (1979) (SL film 1033635). She
quotes from a family Bible of Dr. William Farrar Henderson, a son of Judge
Leonard Henderson, whose wife was Frances Farrar.

There is evidence in Granville Co. will abstracts compiled by Zae
Hargett Gwynn that one John Searcy, whose will was proved Feb Court 1787 had
several sons, one of whom was Bartlett Searcy. The other children were
William (deceased by 1783, when the will was made); John; Mary Reardon;
Susanna Hayes; Reuben, Elizabeth, Sarah Linsey, and Richard Searcy. (WB
2-1).

In the tax list of 1769, Granville Co., NC were these Searcys: John,
Sr., John, Jr; Bartlett, and Reuben. Bartlett declared 1 white, 1 black.
See John, Sr.'s biography.

In 1771 in Granville Co., Bartlet Searcy and wife, Lucy, deeded property
to Thomas Wiggins, 28 Oct 1771. (Zae Hargett Gwynn, KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE
CO., NC).

Reuben Searcy's first wife was Susannah Henderson. The Searcys,
particularly Reuben, was a frequent bondsman for the Williams and Henderson
marriages. Note that John Williams, Esq. (of Granville Co., NC), Lucy's
probable brother, and Reuben Searcy were co-executors of Bartlett Searcy,
whose will was probated in Madison Co., KY. Reuben held several Granville
County offices, including county clerk and constable.

Other Granville Co., NC Records

Before migrating to Madison Co., KY, Bartlett Searcy and his extended
family had long been active in the politics and social life of Granville Co.
His probable father, John Searcy, Sr. had purchased land from the Williams
family.

Bartlett and Reuben Searcy, along with Anne Glover, were witnesses in
1751 to a deed of John Glover and wife Mary to William Searcy (Granville DB
A-536 through 538). This is the first appearances of the Searcys in the
Granville deed books. There is some indication in sparse Hanover Co. VA
records that the Searcys had resided in that part of Virginia in the 1733-35
time period.

Granville Co., NC Deed Bk G-98-99 1 Aug 1762 - Grant to Bartlet Searcy
for 520 acres on Reedy Branch at Hawkins' corner, Mitchell's line, Bullock's
line, Pascal's line. (Gwynn, DEEDS)

The following verifies that Searcy lived in the area of Nutbush Creek ca
1769:.

"Oct. 20, 1769. "Order'd that Bartlett Searcy & the Hands that Work's
under him turn the Road from Nutbush Bridge, by the School House, thr'o
Daniel William's Plantation the best & most & most (sic) convenient way into
the other Road, & that He keep in repair, that part which Len. Henley Bullock
Esq. has opened." "First reference to schoolhouse on the Ct. Minutes."

(Thomas McAdory Owen, HISTORY AND GENEALOGIES OF OLD GRANVILLE COUNTY,
NORTH CAROLINA, 1746-1800 [Greenville, SC: Southern Historical Press, Inc.,
1993] p. 205.

Court minutes of] April 19, 1770, "Ordered that Bartlett Searcy be
released from the payment of one Levy for the Year 1769, having acted as
Constable that Year." (Owen, p. 237)

(To be continued in Installment Two)

This thread: