SEE-L Archives

Archiver > SEE > 2010-05 > 1275352688

From: Sara Patton <>
Subject: [SEE] Fwd: [WVHARDY] Robert and John Craigen
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 17:38:21 -0700

Richard,

I'm going through old emails and found this requesting info on John
Craigen. I have a bit on him since he married Mary Ann SEE (not
Lee!), one of my See family. Although I have not done a great deal
on the Craigens, I'm happy to share the few notes I have on this family.

John's parents: Robert and Susan Craigen. Abstract of will states
will written 8 Oct 1785, proved Feb 1796. Extrx: wife Susan Craigan,
eldest son Robt to have land in Hampshire Co, Youngest son John
Craigan. Robert is listed as witness to will of Philip Babb 6 Mar
1762. Wife Margaret Babb. Other witnesses Henry Heth/Heath, Francis
McCullock. Extrs. Isaac Perkins, JOSEPH LUPTON

Married Mary Ann See Nov 1792. She was born 14 June 1775; daughter
of George See/Zeh and Christina Bogard (more on them if you're
interested.); died March 30 , 1854.

John died Jan 1827. Hardy Co Will Book 4: 164

Names of children listed in John Craigen's will - mentions wife Mary;
sons GEORGE SEE and Jacob Israel; daughters Eveline, Kitty, Emily,
Adalina Louisa, Susan Perrin-rep Mary Craigen. Witness Adam See, Sr.
John Cleaver, Elizabeth Stump, Abraham Neff, Sr. Jan 9, 1827

Mary Ann's will in Hardy County Will Bk 9:279 Oct 2. 1854-also lists
married names of some daughters.
Names of children are also listed in their aunt's will, Phebe See
Couchman as her heirs: Circuit County Court Records Book B.l, the
"children of John Craigen, dec'd : Jacob Israel, Adaline Louisa,
Kitty Emily, Evalina Taylor, Susan Baker", Sept 25, 1832. Witnesses
Mary Ann (SEE) Craigen and David Steel (ELJudy, History of Hardy & Grant Co)

John and Mary are buried in the See family graveyard on the old farm
site on the east side of the South Fork road, opposite the Parson farm.

I have no good dates for children but do have husbands of daughters:
Evalina - Taylor Name listed in Mary Ann See Craigen's will-Hardy
Co Will bk. 9:279
Susan -- Baker Mentioned in father's will in 1827, not mentioned in
mother's will in 1854.
Catherine Emily "Kitty" -- Jared Williams? Name listed in Mary Ann
See Craigen's will-Hardy Co Will bk. 9:279: Daughter Catherine E.
Williams Jarred J. Williams listed as witness. Probably Mary Ann's
son in law or grandson.
Adalina Louisa -- Nathaniel D. Parred? Name listed in Mary Ann See
Craigen's will-Hardy Co Will bk. 9:279 Nathaniel D. was a witness and
probably son in law or grandson

(A Paul Craigin listed as chain carrier in 1742- Goose Creek- Joyner V5:65)

Couple is buried on Sloan Parson's Farm on South Fork(originally
owned by George See-2) along with sister Phoebe See and her husband,
John Couchman.

A John Craigen is listed as a delegate to the VA General Assembly
from Hardy County in 1816. Is this same one?? (EL Judy, HISTORY OF
GRANT AND HARDY CO)

Old family sheets-undocumented:
Mary Ann See b. 14 Jun 1759, Hardy County, WV, m. 4 Nov 1792, John
Graigen. Mary died 30 Mar 1854.

1850 census gives the age of Mary Ann See Craigen as 76, making her
birth year 1775 rather than 1759 given in other family sheets.