SFHG-L Archives

Archiver > SFHG > 2003-04 > 1049822225

From: "John Taylor" <>
Subject: RE: [SFHG] AVANN in Battle area
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 18:17:05 +0100

Hi Caroline and Listers

We, too, have been searching for information on this name. Our line lived,
and, indeed, is living, in Eastbourne, Sussex, but there is a link back to a
birth in Battle in about 1852.

We have a record of a William AVANN who was born in Battle in about 1852 -
this may be the Registration District, rather than the town of Battle.

At the time of the 1881 Census, he was aged 29 and a Railway Carrier. He was
living at 2 Finch Cottages, Eastbourne, Sussex, living, as a boarder, with
'our' Daniel MANN.

He had a son, William, who was born in Q3, 1889 in Eastbourne, but due to
lack of time, we have yet to confirm William senior's marriage to Emily M
MANN; at the time of the 1891 Census, all three were living in Brightland
Road, Eastbourne, Sussex, when William snr was a Carman.

We believe that there was another son (at least), Frank or George, because,
although we have little more proven data at present, a little titbit that
has come down through the family is that William snr died early and his two
sons started going round the neighbourhood with hand carts collecting scrap
metal etc. From these beginnings grew Avann Haulage Contractors. This firm
was very prominent in Eastbourne in the 1950's; it has since been taken
over.

We also have an unconfirmed marriage of Alice Ada MANN (sister of Emily M)
to an, as yet, unidentified AVANN in about 1890, who also died young. This
may have resulted from a mis-remembering of who married whom, and needs more
research!!

We have also found the following individuals in Eastbourne, but have yet to
link them to our tree, or to any other family:-

Catherine AVANN, married in Q2, 1895 (2b 170)
Harriet Elizabeth AVANN, married in Q4, 1899 (2b 139)
Henry AVANN, married in Q3, 1895 (2b 97)

Also Frank AVANN and son, Nelson AVANN - no further details.

We also have a very, very, tenuous link with the DANN name; we have Orpah
DANN (born about 1836), who married Albert Thomas PURSGLOVE on 19 Apr 1857
at the Independent Chapel, Herstmonceux, Sussex. Two of their daughters
(Lois E and Emily) married into our GARDNER family.

Names that connect with AVANN are:-

GARDNER
MANN
SIMMONS
SINDEN
DIPLOCK
JAMES
ELPHICK (v v tenuous)

Do you recognise anything here, Caroline; is there anyone else out there
with other pieces of this ginormous jigsaw?

Ann & John Taylor in Sutton, Surrey, England
Members 6235/6

---