SFHG-L Archives

Archiver > SFHG > 2005-03 > 1111952409

From: "Richard Collins" <>
Subject: Re: [SFHG] Info please.
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:40:09 +0100

Hello Ka
I have transcribed several censuses for the SFHG and I have come across quite a number of "Nurse Children". I can do no better than copy to you exactly what it says in "Tracing Your Ancestors - A to Z Guide" by Pauline Saul and F.C.Markwell.

"NURSE CHILDREN
A term common in burial registers of the home counties, mainly because many thousands of infants sent out of London to spend the first few years of their life in the country, died in the nurse's parish. Contrary to popular belief, many of these children were not unwanted or illegitimate, but were from a wide spectrum of middle class homes and were often sent to parishes with which their parents had some connection. A study of the population of nurses and nurse children is being made with the support of the Welcome Trust: an Index is being compiled. See Nurse Children by Gillian Clark. The Gen Mag Vol 21 No.9, March 1985 ."

I presume the practice was adopted because of the more healthy conditions in country areas though they were not immune to smallpox, typhoid and diphtheria epidemics. Country families, and often older people, needed the income from taking in nurse children. Generally the contract ended at school age but I have come across instances of school age children listed as boarders who, I suspect, were previously nurse children who remained with their foster parents. The birth place of the nurse child may constitute an important clue to your research.

Richard Collins
Dorking