SFHG-L Archives

Archiver > SFHG > 2008-10 > 1223144465

From: "Bob Doe" <>
Subject: [SFHG] Mabel BLETSOE 1884-1913
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 19:21:05 +0100

I wonder if anyone can find Mabel BLETSOE (age 16) in the 1901 census? Or
suggest where she might have been?

According to the 1891 census Mabel age 6 (born Caterham Sy 1884) was living
in Lennox Street Brighton with parents John and Louisa BLETSOE (census
actually says Lydia but her name was Louisa) and several sisters. The census
entry shows her to be "deaf and dumb"

Free BMD has this entry which looks like her birth:

Births Dec 1884 Bletsoe Mabel Godstone 2a 185

and this which looks like her death in 1913:

Deaths Sep 1913 Bletsoe Mabel 28 Lewes 2b 169

In 1901 the family were still in Lennox Street. But Mabel (who would have
been 16) was not with them Nor can I find her elsewhere in the 1901 census
index under her own or similar name.

Can anyone find Mabel in 1901?

Or suggest where (or in what institution perhaps) a 16 year old deaf girl
might have been, away from her Brighton family in 1901 (possibly in Lewes
district)?

This thread: