SHAFFER-L Archives

Archiver > SHAFFER > 2009-03 > 1238533001

From: "MSE - Comcast" <>
Subject: Re: [SHAFFER] Richard Shaffer of Tennessee
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:56:41 -0400

Richard Shaffer, who died in 1793 on his farm in what is now Smith County;
married Elizabeth Gambrell (Bradley Gambill's daughter), in 1789 in Davidson
County (Nashville); had son, Captain Josiah Love Shaffer and daughter, Susan
Shaffer Cromer (Henry, spouse), is my g-g-g-g-grandfather. I am the eighth
generation in Nashville (born and raised) - most of the family in all
generations stayed around there. I now live in New Jersey but many cousins
are still in Nashville.

Richard is on the list as receiving the 640 acres for Revolutionary War
service. Bradley Gambill took over Richard's land after Elizabeth died in
1795 with 2nd husband, Luke Anderson, killed by Indians, as was Richard in
1793. The land went to Bradley's son (Elizabeth's brother) later and I
don't know after that.

I have been researching Richard since 1972 and have found a lot about
descendants, but do not know where he was born (one record says Washington
Township, but no state), and don't know the year for certain either,
probably 1760-66. Elizabeth was born in 1766 in NC. We had been told by
family the Shaffers were from Heidelberg, but don't know if that's Germany
or Pennsylvania, or both. My husband and I have been to archives in TN, PA
and Germany but still haven't made a connection in regard to original
Shaffer immigrant in our line.

A genealogist had written me about 3 years ago (I've had to put research on
hold due to husband's ill health the last 2 years), saying she thought my
Richard was a descendant of Shaffers/Shavers from a family in VA. I figured
they could have gone from PA to VA to NC to TN between maybe 1750 and 1789.
Richard "Sheffer" is on the 1790 Census for Sumner County (in what became TN
in 1796) - the farm was in Sumner at that time but that part of the county
became Smith County after 1800.

Josiah Love Shaffer married Elizabeth Binkley (daughter of Peter Binkley,
descendant of Peter Binggeli and Magdalena Spring, Guggisberg, Switzerland -
have complete line of Binggeli Family). The Binkley family settled in
Robertson County, TN after being in York County, PA, Fredrick County, MD and
Surrey County, NC. I have tried tracing Shaffers in those places but have
dead ends.

We know Richard was a surveyor with the Hickman party for a number of years,
and is in the Tennessee history books as validation of helping to settle the
Nashville area. There was a Michael Shaver who was killed by Indians
outside Davidson County before 1793 and I have wondered if he were a
relative of Richard's. I do not know where Richard, Elizabeth, Josiah and
Elizabeth are buried, but their son, Richard Washington Shaffer and his
wife, Catherine Dorris, are buried in the City Cemetery, Nashville - took a
picture of their headstones. R.W.'s son, Josiah Love, Sr. and my
grandfather, Josiah Love, Jr. are buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Nashville.
My father, James Albert is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery, Nashville.

My dream has always been to be in the DAR and to find the village/town in
Germany (I'm a history major from way back!) where my Shaffers originated.
We have been to my husband's ancestral town of Hildesheim, Germany twice now
and I would really like to know if, in fact, Heidelberg, Germany is my
ancestral town. I've visited there but the archives tells me to go to
Kaiserslautern, which we did in 2001, but the archives there closed early
for the holidays, so we weren't able to research very long. Since then
we've only been back to Germany once, due to health reasons, and only for a
short time, just visiting friends.

Any help or clues would be greatly appreciated. I also intend to write the
family history - have started portions already.

Margaret Shaffer Ernst
New Jersey