SHAFFER-L Archives

Archiver > SHAFFER > 2010-01 > 1262570603

From: GS Shaffer <>
Subject: Re: [SHAFFER] Shaffer brick wall
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 18:03:23 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I may have a couple leads for you to follow.

Peter Shaffer (Shoeffer) was an apprentice to Johann Gutenberg. You might look in that geographical area Mainz, Germany in the 1450s for connections though you'll need strong links to names or something else to start there and go forward.

My Shaffers in the 1700-48 time frame were from Darmstadt, Hesse. The emigrant Jacob came to Berks Co Pa Maxatawny Twp. His granddaughter Barbara (dau of Michael b 1757) married an Ebenezer Donelson in Gallia Co OH in 1823 before moving to Mercer Co MO in 1840. His parents were Humphrey and Mary Donelson and possibly came from Caswell Co NC.

Many records in Germany were lost in the bombings of WW II. You will need some records to find where your anscestors came from. You probably know Shaffer and Sheffer and Shepher and Shepherd mean shepherd. In Saxony in Germany Saxony wool was some of the best wool in the world. I have never seen any records of Shaffer in Saxony but there is a strong possibility there is a connection.

Gregg Shaffer
MD by way of Ohio