SHAW-L Archives

Archiver > SHAW > 2006-10 > 1161691975

Subject: Re: [SHAW] Daniel Shaw
Date: 24 Oct 2006 06:12:55 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/BAHBAEB/2145.2148.2150.2153.2156.2161.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.2.1.3.1.2.1.2.3.1

Message Board Post:

Robert,

I've checked all the vital records and names I have for Daniel Shaw. I'm pretty sure he cannot be any of the Daniel Jrs I have and only Daniel I have descended from Irish family of Brimfield/Palmer area is s/o Seth and doesn't match for Daniel Sr. & Jr. (b 1740-1755).

I'm trying to tie him to Benjamin Shaw (John, Abraham) & Hannah Bicknell's descendants. Found the Nathaniel Shaw I was looking for - had him all along, though his son Daniel had me confused, since the birth year for birth and death is off. This should explain it better:

Vital Records of Raynham, Massachusetts, p. 25 [p. 61 original]:

Daniel Shaw Son of Nathaniel Shaw Jur and Lydia his wife was Born June 5th 1768
_________________________________
http://www.newenglandancestors.org/rs3/research/database/vital_records_rehoboth/default.asp?srch=srch
Vital Records of Rehoboth, Massachusetts, 1642-1896

Year Family Name Record Orig. Rec. Vol Page Rec Type

1762 SHAW Daniel, of Nathaniel and Lydia, June 5, 1762 more 3 184 Birth

Note: This record was recorded with incorrect year by clerk in Rehoboth, or transcribed incorrectly by the person transcribing Rehoboth vital records in the 1800s or later.
_________________________________
http://www.newenglandancestors.org/research/Database/vital_records/default.asp?srch=srch
Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850
1774 SHAW Daniel, s. Nath[anie]ll, bp. Oct. 9, 1774, C.R.4. more Birth Taunton

C.R.4. - church record, Lakeville and Taunton Precinct Con-
gregational Church
_________________________________
Rehoboth, Massachusetts:

Daniel Shaw, gs: d 33y (born 1766/7)
This isn't your ancestor, Daniel Shaw, though I believe it is this family.

Daniel Shaw born 5 June 1768 Raynham, Bristol Co., MA is s/o Nathaniel II b 06 Aug 1746 Raynham, d 01 Jun 1801 resided Rehoboth until 1768 (& Lydia ____), s/o Nathaniel I b 1723/4 of northeast precinct of Taunton (later Raynham), MA, d 04 May 1804 Raynham MA (& Elizabeth Hall), s/o Samuel Shaw b 1697/8 of Taunton, d Sep 1730 Taunton (& Elizabeth Hodges, sister of William, who m. Susannah Gilbert, parents of Jemima Hodges, who m. Daniel Shaw b 12 Jul 1714 Rehoboth, s/o Thomas, John, Joseph, Abraham). Thomas had a brother, Daniel born 03 Jan 1685 Rehoboth, and Thomas' son Ichabod Shaw b 18 Aug 1704 Rehoboth d Aft. 19 Jan 1771. His son, Ichabod Jr. b 28 May 1733 Norton, Bristol Co., MA, moved to Wallingford, Rutland Co., Vermont, where he died 10 Aug 1807.

Samuel Shaw b 1697/8 of Taunton is s/o Benjamin Shaw b 16 Jun 1670 Weymouth, Norfolk Co., MA, d 16 Jun 1723 northeast precinct of Taunton (Raynham), buried Shaw Burying Ground, northeast precinct of Taunton (now Raynham). He married Hannah Bicknell, d/o John Bicknell & (2) Mary Porter. John Bicknell's 1st wife was Mary2 Shaw, d/o Abraham1.

Benjamin Shaw is s/o John Shaw (& Alice Phillips), s/o Abraham Shaw & Brigget/Bridget Best (perhaps a nickname for Elizabeth).

This is an interesting descent also:

1 Abraham Shaw & Bridget Best
2 John Shaw & Alice Phillips
3 Alice Shaw b 1666 Weymouth & John Andrews
4 John Andrews b 1686 Westfield, Hampden Co., MA & Hannah Hall (haven't checked her ancestry, though possibly same Hall family who married descendants of Benjamin Shaw & Hannah Bicknell)
5 Lydia Andrews b 7 Feb 1717 Norton, Bristol Co., MA
d 6 Jul 1772 Taunton MA
m. William Hodges b 1711 Taunton, d 6 Jan 1775 Taunton, s/o William Hodges (& Susannah Gilbert), brother of Elizabeth Hodges, who m. Samuel Shaw b 1697/8. Their sister, Esther Hodges married Ichabod Southworth and their daughter, Desire Southworth, m. 21 Apr 1731 Middleborough, Plymouth Co., MA, Samuel Shaw b Bet. 11 Jan 1706/07 Plympton, Plymouth Co., s/o Lt. Jonathan (Dea. Jonathan, John Shaw of Plymouth 1627).

I think you should concentrate on the Hampden Co. & Bristol Co. towns to close in on the correct Daniel Shaw. All or most of the Shaws in Norton, Raynham, Rehoboth, and the later part that remained Taunton, had close family ties to towns in Hampden Co., MA. Anna Blake is also probably closely related since Joseph Shaw's (Abraham) widow married John Blake of Boston in 1654 and some of Joseph's descendants followed these step-uncles to Sturbridge, Worcester Co., then to Palmer/Brimfield area of Hampden Co.

The Daniel Shaw born in 1685 is perhaps the Daniel Shaw we've been looking for who is the father of Daniel born 1740/55, or closely related, or he is an unknown s/o Benjamin Shaw & Hannah Bicknell or their grandson, though hopefully we have the correct Daniel Shaw born 12 Jul 1714 Rehoboth, s/o Thomas Shaw & Bethia Ormsby (aka Ormsbee), who m. 15 Apr 1701 in Rehoboth and had Ichabod, Priscilla, Thomas, Daniel, and a few other possible children I'm working on. The Shaws are so tied to these locations it's difficult to absolutely prove the parentage of a few, even though you believe they are of the same family. The Shaw, Hall, Hodges, Mason, Andrews and Leonard families are a few with strong ties in Taunton. When you think Taunton, think big - all the precincts that once was Taunton also, before they became separate towns. Perhaps Daniel Shaw Sr. and/or Jr. believed in accuracy. Daniel Sr. was born in Taunton if he was born in any one of these precincts in the early 1700s!
and before - at least I think Rehoboth was part of Taunton in 1714.

Deborah

This thread: