SHAW-L Archives

Archiver > SHAW > 2006-10 > 1161701574

Subject: Re: [SHAW] Daniel Shaw & Rhoda Taylor, James Bradley & wife Sarah
Date: 24 Oct 2006 08:52:54 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/BAHBAEB/2145.2148.2150.2153.2156.2161.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.2.1.5.1.1.1.1.2

Message Board Post:

>You have:
Josiah Shaw (Daniel, Hilliard, Samuel, Caleb, Joseph, Roger) b. 22 May 1802 NH, d Eau Claire, WI, m. Elizabeth Norris 1828 in Chelsea, Orange Co., VT. Children Eliza J., George R., Myron A., Henry W., Harvey L. all born 1830s to 1840s Fairlee, Orange Co., VT. Which Daniel do you believe is this Josiah's father?

Josiah Shaw was born 22 May 1802 NH. His father, Daniel Shaw was born 1768 NH or VT. He m. 1787 Polly Marden & (2) bef. 10 Mar 1807 (1st child, Eliza of Kingston, Rockingham, NH) Mary "Polly" EASTMAN. This Daniel is #37 in the Roger Shaw book by Farwell, I believe I mentioned earlier. Hilliard's family moved to a lot of places, including OR & WI, and moved around a lot before settling for good.

>Calvin Shaw who signed a deed in 1804 in Williston, VT. I assume he is of legal age at that time.)

Daniel Shaw & Rhoda Taylor had 3 sons & 2 daus according to the 1790 and 1800 censuses. I believe Calvin Shaw is the 3d son born Bet. 1775 - 1784, so would be 21 if born 1782/3 or before, which fits the male in Daniel's household born 1775/84. Calvin is head of household on the 1820-1840 censuses in Williston - is either Daniel's son, or nephew. Doubt he's unrelated. I haven't checked later censuses yet. Daniel & Rhoda had a dau born 1775-1784 & one born before 1791 (on the 1790 census - perhaps married by 1800).

“Luther Shaw of Williston” in 1814 as shown on an 1814 deed. (There is a Luther Shaw in Rutland VT who is a Revolutionary War Pensioner. I believe he is the Luther who married Judith Squires and was the father of William Shaw born in Rutland VT. -Rufus and Rebbecca Shaw named a son Luther in 1817. Luther in on the 1830 census in Rutland VT. Lutha Shaw in Rutland in 1810.)

Haven't done anything with Luther yet, though I had assumed he was Daniel & Rhoda's eldest son re your genforum msg 8071 Shaw board.

>Marquis Shaw who witnessed a deed in 1830 in Fairfax, Franklin County, VT (along with C Sampson) deeding land from Ephraim Bottom to Rufus Shaw.

Haven't id'd Marquis, though remember discussing him before. I have a Marquis Shaw born VT, living in La Porte Co.IN 1830-1840 censuses. Children: Alluna, Almer, Renesslear, Edwin R., Daniel, all born probably in 1820s. 1st names are perhaps Eleanor and Elmer, and Renesslear, perhaps Rensselaer after the county/town. in NY or from a surname. I also have a Marquis Shaw born 1835/6 VT m. Kitty Aldrich. He is s/o Dr. Jonathan Whitmarsh Shaw b 17 Mar 1771 Providence, Providence Co., RI, d 16 Mar 1839 Clarendon, Rutland Co., VT, raised most of his life in Putney, Rutland Co., VT (s/o John Shaw & Mary "Polly" Hudson). John was born 1729 Dighton, Bristol Co., MA, s/o Abraham, Abraham, John, John, Abraham). Jonathan also had a son Marquis Lafayette Shaw, who died at 13y, before his 2d son by this name was born. Jonathan lived in Putney & Castleton, VT, Westmoreland, NY, West Rutland 1808, moved to Clarendon Springs 1823, where he had a sawmill. He and his brother Samuel we!
re surgeons in the War of 1812.

1790 United States Federal Census - 4 John Shaws in VT 1790 census

1790, Putney, Windham Co., VT:
John Shaw 3 2 5
This is John Shaw born Dighton MA 1729, d 1802, probably at Putney, where he resided that year.

Not sure if any of these are the following, and I'm going by info from Putney Historical Society, so death location may not match the censuses. John's son, William Shaw b 22 Oct 1763 Dighton, d 11 Mar 1792 Putney. His son Abraham b Bet. 1764/5 MA d Aft. 15 Aug 1850 of Dummerston, Windham Co., VT 1850. His son John b 22 Sep 1755 Dighton, moved to Warwick, Kent Co., RI probably when he married in Warwick, Sarah Pratt of East Greenwich 04 Aug 1776. I need to research more to see if he stayed in RI. His brother, Dr. Samuel Shaw b Dec 1768 Dighton, d Clarendon Springs 23 Oct 1827. His brother Augustus Mumford Shaw b 1774/5 RI (of East Greenwich), d CA.

I had Luther, s/o Daniel & Rhoda, then possible s/o John, though now don't know which John, since I didn't make notes. Doubtful, though Stephen is perhaps a son or descendant of William Shaw & Abiah Hall, who married 20 Apr 1751 in Raynham MA - haven't done anything with info yet.

There's a Stephen Shaw b 29 May 1751 Abington MA, moved to Cummington MA, then Jericho, Chittenden Co., VT. His son, Stephen Shaw was born 12 Jan 1773 Cummington, Hampshire Co., MA, so in VT at the latest 1772/3. Should be the ones in Jericho you found. Stephen 1751 is s/o Jonathan Shaw (& Susanna [Hearsey] Hersey), s/o John (& Sarah Burrell), John (& Hannah Whitmarsh), John (& Alice Phillips, d/o Dea. Nicholas), Abraham. Stephen had close relatives who moved to NH, so may have moved back & forth between VT & NH if you see them missing on some censuses. Some also moved to Cumberland Co., ME.

>John, Luther and William Shaw who are on the 1790 census in Rutland, Rutland Cty, VT. Stephen Shaw who is on 1790 census in Stamford, Bennington Cty, VT. (Johnathan Shaw and Stephen Shaw in Jericho, Chittenden Cty, VT. on 1800 census.)

John Shaw in Rutland on the 1790 census is possibly the s/o John born 1728 Dighton MA, resided Putney, VT, married in Warwick RI, though John is a very common name, the most popular in Abraham's line, since his son John had more descendants, and seems to have been well-liked by the family, and one or more of Joseph's children may have been broutht up by him, though had other siblings who could have.

>Cyprus Shaw (in Middle Hero) and William Shaw (in Waterbury) - Chittenden Cty on 1800 census.)

Could also be Crispus Shaw, brother of Darling Shaw, descendants of John Shaw of Plymouth 1627, both in the Rev. War. Crispus was born 08 Oct 1763 in Nova Scotia, lived in Morristown, Lamoille Co.; his son Crispus b 1801 VT lived in Elmore, Lamoille Co. later - eldest Crispus Shaw d 16 Jul 1845 in Morristown. Working on this, though should be s/o Crispus b 1740/41 of Carver, Plymouth Co., MA, also in RW, s/o Moses (Benoni, Dea. Jonathan, John of Plymouth, d 24 Oct 1694 Middleborough, Plymouth Co., MA; wife Alice ____ d 06 Mar 1654/5 Plymouth, MA).

>Levithateher Thaw (Shaw) in Williston, Chittenden Cty, VT in 1810 census.

sic, this is Levi Thatcher, indexed wrong.

>Josiah Shaw (b 1747-1759, d 1812) married Rebbecca, parents of Josiah Shaw born 3/23/1803 in Bennington, VT. Josiah on 1800 census in Bennington, Bennington Cty, VT.

Cannot seem to find this one - will get back to you, or give me more info. Bennington VT I've done some work on - just cannot think right now.

>Hopestill Shaw who lived in Pittsford VT, married Benjamin Stevens. They were the parents of Hopestill Stevens.

Do you have more names, or dates? I only have Hopestill born 1735, d 1810, possible d/o Daniel, though don't know why I'm guessing that. Hopestill is a name popular in the family of John of Plymouth, and I think Anthony Shaw of Boston, Portsmouth & Little Compton. Since it's Rutland Co., could be a descendant of John b 1729 of Putney, above. John is the ancestor of Henry Wheeler Shaw, humorist Josh Billings, whose fatther Hon. Henry Vinal Shaw, Congressman was born 1788 near Putney, VT.

This thread: