SHELTON-L Archives

Archiver > SHELTON > 1999-12 > 0945482491

From: <>
Subject: Re: Thomas Shelton Jr. b. MAY 26, 1763
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 21:01:31 EST

Ed writes,

>>Does anybody have any info on Thomas...born about 1692...died in
1738...married
Winifred King Jnnuary ...1723...supposedly had 3 sons...one being the Thomas
who
married Jane Bennett...???...<<

Ed, here is where I think this came from.

>>From The SHELTONS by Clay HENSLEY and Zelois HENSLEY, privately printed,=
=0A1988,
p20, "Descendants of Thomas SHELTON d 1738 and Winifred KING.
Thomas SHELTON b 1723 in Lancaster or Middlesex Co, m about 1741 in
Pittsylvania Co, Jane (Jennie) BENNETT....His children were: (1) Corp.
Thomas SHELTON, b 1742, d 1846...Corp. Thomas (1) 1742-1846 d age
103 was m three times; 1st in 1762 to Jane CLOPTON b 1744, 2nd m a
COUSINS 3rd m CRUMP, had a son James SHELTON...and a son
Thomas..."<<

Ed, the problem I have with the above is I show Thomas b. Abt 1666 d. 1738 m.
King ,son Thomas b. 1723. There seems to be a generation missing. I show the
father of Thomas b. Abt 1666 as John m. Jane (Rural Plains). The other
problem is Thomas b. 1742 m. Clopton. One of the other wives seem to belong
to Thomas b. 1763.

I show this family in Louisa Co. VA till Thomas b. 1763, is in Pittsylvania
Co. VA. I is my belief that Thomas b. 1723 m. Bennett is the son of John
b.Abt 1705 m Eleanor Parks(Rural Plains). I have no proof.

>From another post,

>>SHELTON/CHILTON, CLOPTON. Per a graveyard monument in Brandon, Mississippi,
THOMAS SHELTON (1742 - 1846) served in the Revolution from 1777 to 1781,
completing service with the rank of 1st. Lieutenant. This service matches the
record of a Thomas Shelton [not the Major] who was appointed as an ensign in
the Louisa Co. militia on February 16, 1777 and ultimately was appointed 1st
Lieutenant in the room of DAVID MERIWEATHER on November 12, 1781. Men who
served under Lt. Thomas Shelton reported in pension applications that they
fought at the Battle of Camden in a unit commanded by Capt. JOHN BYARS, with
ANTHONY WINSTON as ensign and JAMES SHELTON as a Sergeant. Family lore
(corroborated by descendants' names) says (i) his wife was a CLOPTON,
possibly Jane as claimed in early DAR applications, though naming patterns in
descendants suggest that her name was Susan, (ii) that the surname was
originally Chilton, and (iii) he was a merchant with stores in Virginia and
Tennessee. A son, Thomas Shelton, Jr. (1763 - 1857) who raised his family in
Pittsylvania County, Va. is named on the same monument in Brandon, Miss.
Thomas Shelton, Jr. married and survived four known wives and had sets of
children by three of them, all believed to have been born and raised in
Halifax/Pittsylvania Cos., Va. The known wives were SARAH BARKSDALE, [SARAH?]
HEWLITT, PHEBE HATCHER MARSHALL (widow of PETER COUSINS), and SARAH CRUMP.
Thomas Shelton, Sr. may have been a son of the Thomas Shelton who died in
Pittsylvania Co. in 1808 who many researchers have erroneously claimed as the
father of Thomas Shelton, Jr. d. 1857. I seek information concerning (i)
others who served in the Revolution with Thomas Shelton, Sr. d. 1846, (ii)
the name and parents of the Clopton girl believed to be his first wife, (iii)
names and other data of any other children and wives of Thomas,Sr., (iv)
places of residence of Thomas Shelton, Sr. <<

Looking for additions and corrections.

Wayne Shelton

This thread: