SHOOK-L Archives

Archiver > SHOOK > 2002-11 > 1038510077

From: "Christine Walters" <>
Subject: [Shook] Lawrence Shook
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:01:17 -0600

Information from the Larry G Shuck Book - concerning Lawrence Shook.

Lawrence Shook born abt 1733 came from PA to MD to Hardy Co VA/WV and then
to St Clair Co IL where he died sometime before 1830.

Children (not in any particular order)

1. Elizabeth b bef 1774 d bef 1794 married Moses or Isaac WELTOIN

2. Solomon died bet 1820-1836 m Hannah VALENTINE. Went to Monroe Co IL
Children of Solomon (Not in any order)
A.William m Mary
B.Mary m John Bryon 1807, m Michel Dance, m John Horine
C.Catherine 1792-1871 m Benj. Horine (1780-1852) in 1809 12 children
D.Michael 1808-1838 m Julie 1831 had 2 children
E.Amos m 1831 Sally Shelton had 10 children
F.Samuel 1787-1827 m Sarah Chance 1807
G.Rhoda m Solomon Strong
H. Lucretia m Stephen Miles
I. Margaret 1791-1866 m John Boucher 1817 had 6 children
J. Solomon Jr m Catherine H Danner

3. Jonas Shook b bef 1775 d aft 1820 went to St Clair Co IL
Children of Jonas:
A. Sally m James Moore 1810
B. Hannah m Daniel Miller
C. Madeline m Wm Lemen
D. Mary b abt 1794 m Henry Miller b 1793 had 6 children
E. Nancy m James Axley
F. Moses
G. Henry
H. Jemima m John Stout 1810
I. Aaron 1792-1868 m Catherine and Hannah - had total of 10 children

4. Daniel Shook died bef 1836 m Elizabeth Noel 31 Jul 1796 Hardy WV. Moved
to Monroe Co IL
Children of Daniel
A. Joseph
B. Benjamin
C. Jacob

5. Samuel Shook 1777-1830 m Susannah Henkle. Moved to St Clair Co IL
Children of Samuel
A. Job b 1798 died young
B. Jesse b 1800 died young
C. Catherine 1803-1856 m Hiram Jones 1828 had 8 children
D. Jonas 1805-1889 m Polly Land 1829 had 7 children
E. Elias b 1807 m Sarah Hale 1829 had 8 children
F. Isaac b abt 1810 m Lydia Jennings 1830 had 3 children
G. Sidney 1814-1884 m Syrene Wilderman 1844 had 1 child
H. Samuel 1820-1854 m Mary Wilderman 1846
I. Jane

6. Jacob Shook (Might be a child but is unproven)
(Had land surveyed in Randolph Co WV on Cheat River

***(From the section of the book pertaining to Hermanous) When and where
Hermanous Shook/Shuck arrived i nthis country is unknown. Likewise where he
lived prior to Hardy Co is unknown. Lawrence Shook came out of Maryland to
Hardy Co (Source: Maryland Land Records). Lawrence went from Maryland to PA
to take the Oath of allegiance. Some speculate to York Co PA. (Records show
the year 1770 Book 6011 "Naturalization of Maryland Settlers in PA").
There is no proof of the wife of either Lawrence or Hermanous. If one refers
to the ROHRBACK GENEALOGY by Lewis Bunker ROHRBAUGH (1970) Vol III, a
possibility exists for Hermanous.

Lawrence Shook Deed 1758 Frederick Co MD
Lawrence Shook is on the 1776 Rent Rolls of Hardy Co VA
Lawrence Shook is on the 1782,83,84,85 Hampshire Co VA Tax List
Lawrence Shook is on the 1786-87 Hardy Co VA Tax List
Lawrence Shook is on the 1791 Shenandoah Co VA Tax List
Lawrence Shook is on the 1793,1795,96 Greenbrier Co VA Tax List

13 Jan 1802 Hardy Co VA - Lawrence Shook granted power of Attorney to Job
Welton to sell land.

Thats all the book has on Lawrence.. I've kept track of him in a small way,
because of the probability of his connection to my Hermanous Shook.. I've
never found anything to connect them except for their apparent closeness in
Hardy Co. I do know that there are a lot of errors and misinformation out
there, especially on Rootsweb (World Connect), concerning both Lawrence and
Hermanous. We really should all get together and clean it up someday.

Christine Walters