SICKLES-L Archives

Archiver > SICKLES > 2005-04 > 1112565135

From: James Kaczmarek <>
Subject: Re: [SICKLES] Elizabeth Sickles, Herkimer Co., NY
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:52:15 -0500

Hi Michelle,

I can't recall where Herkimer is just now. My wife's Sickles lived in
Columbia Co, and then Hastings, Oswego Co. Some remained in Columbia,
and some came to Wisconsin ca 1843 from Hastings. There are still a few
Sickles here in WI, but ca 1870's, after the burned-out land and wheat
weavils ruined the wheat farming, they sold out to mostly German
immigrants, and moved to Iowa, etc.

If you're new to Sickles digging, let me inform you that there are those
who mostly descended from the Sickles of New Amsterdamn (kinda Dutch),
and there is a smaller group descended from a reported Oneida Indian -
William Sickles - These mostly have roots in Oneida Co., NY, the
Iroquois Reserve in Ontario, or Oneida, WI. The first New Amsterdam
Sickles was one Zacharias Sickles who came to N.A. from Curacao with
Peter Stuyvesant. Yes, that Peter Stuyvesant. Zach was a corporal in
Pete's army.

Good Luck, Jim

Michelle Campbell wrote:

>Hi, I'm new to the list, and have recently discovered my Sickles roots.
>I'm trying to connect to the Sickles who resided in Herkimer Co., NY in the 1800s.
>My Elizabeth (Betsey) SICKLES b. Abt. 1809 in Montgomery Co., NY married Galen GUILD, b. 1801 in MA.
>Is anyone else researching the Sickles line that resided in Herkimer Co., NY at some point between 1820-1860? Elizabeth married June 27, 1824 in Danube, Herkimer Co., NY. There are Sickles living in Danube in the 1820 census and beyond, but I have no idea if she's related to them.
>Does anyone have an Elizabeth Sickles born about this time frame in their research? Unfortunately the marriage announcement for this union didn't include parent's names.
>I've found possibilities in the 1820, Danube, NY census there is a Orparheas, Ozarkeas, Yarkus, sp? Sickhles listed. In the 1840, Danube census there are Henry R. and George Sickles, both who could be siblings of Elizabeth given their age.
>Can anyone direct me?
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>~Michelle

>Census images 1901, 1891, 1881 and 1871, plus so much more.
>Ancestry.com's United Kingdom & Ireland Collection. Learn more: http://www.ancestry.com/s13968/rd.ashx

This thread: