SIMPSON-SCOTLAND-L Archives

Archiver > SIMPSON-SCOTLAND > 2010-12 > 1291413964

From: "beacock" <>
Subject: Re: [SIMPSON-SCOTLAND] Border SIMPSONS
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 17:06:04 -0500

My SIMPSON ancestors were originally from Scotland, although I have yet to
find out from which part.

I have traced them back to Thomas SIMPSON born 1786 on the Holy Island of
Lindisfarne which is in present day Northumberland England right on the
border with Scotland. Holy Island along with Berwick-Upon-Tweed on the
mainland were one of the areas that were ripped back and forth between
England & Scotland, during the various wars.

Thomas SIMPSON married Eleanor WALLACE and they were my ggg grandparents.
Son John SIMPSON born about 1814 Holy Island, married Isabella BRIGHAM, born
1822 Kyloe, Northumberland.

Recently I found something interesting about SIMPSONS of Scotch descent who
left Scotland to immigrate to Albany New York, USA around 1800. It says
their ancestors owned property in Berwick-on-Tweed, Scotland & Holy Island
for generations. They were a seafaring family, many being ship masters &
owners who traded with the East Indies.

Names mentioned are:

John SIMPSON and wife Elizabeth BAPTIST, both born in Berwick, Scotland. No
birth years were mentioned, but best guess would be the 1750s, 1760s.
children were: Daniel, Elizabeth, Patience & George (born 1784). It says
George SIMPSON was born in Berwick, Scotland, but I believe he was born on
Holy Island.

Would like to connect with anyone researching these SIMPSONS mentioned, or
other border SIMPSONS who may have been mariners and / or are related.

Marina
Canada

This thread: