SIMS-L Archives

Archiver > SIMS > 2006-10 > 1160343387

From: "Franklin Ingram" <>
Subject: [SIMS] Descendants of Francis Sims (1770 Maryland-1847 Alabama)
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 17:36:27 -0400

Hopefully, the following sketches enough of the broad outline of my Francis
Sims' and his descendants so that you can quickly determine whether or not
you connect in any way with this family.. A number of my Sims and McDowell
ancestors have lived up into their 90's. Consequently, I have excluded my
mother's generation because several of them are still living.

Footnote 10 is one researcher's speculation/work on the possible Ancestors
of my Francis Sims (1770 Maryland - 1847 Alabama)--see footnote 10 below.
This researcher asserts descendancy from a Marmaduke Semmes of Maryland
although I have no documentation for these assertions. Any information,
collaboration, verification or corrections about either the ancestors (see
Footnote 10) or the descendants of my Francis Sims will be much appreciated.
Thank you, Franklin W. Ingram, Raleigh, NC,

Descendants of Francis Sims (1770 Maryland-1847 Alabama) are:Francis SIMS,
b. 22 Jun 1770 MD, d. 25 Oct 1847 Wilsonville, Shelby County, AL, bur. circa
27 Oct 1847 Old Chapel Methodist Church Cemetery, Wilsonville, Shelby
County, AL (Footnotes 1, 2, and 10.)

+Elizabeth PRIMM, m. 22 Dec 1797 Fauquier County, VA (Footnote 3)

+-- James SIMS (Born in South Carolina, probably in Laurens District.)

L-- Joseph SIMS, b. 15 Oct 1802, d. 1861 (Born in South Carolina, probably
in Laurens District and died in Claiborne Parrish LA about 1861)

+Annphilidia DOZIER, b. 20 Feb 1810. (Daughter of Thornton Dozier, Jr.)

L-- Francis Marion SIMS, b. circa Aug 1829 AL, d. 18 May 1902 AL

+Sarah E. HEARD or Hurd, b. Dec 1828 GA, m. 10 Nov 1850 Macon County,

+AL, d. after 15 Jun 1900 (Footnotes 4 and 5.)

+-- E SIMS (Female), b. circa 1853 AL

+-- Stephen Daniel SIMS Sr, b. 18 Mar 1854 AL, d. 5 Sep 1892 Chambers
County, AL, bur. Sep 1892 Milltown Cemetery, Milltown, Chambers County, AL │
+Frances Missouri MCDOWELL, b. Jan 1862 Chambers County, AL, m. 16 Mar 1879
Chambers County, AL. (Her parents were John Thomas "Thomas" McDowell, born
in GA, and Mary A. Mullinax, born in SC. Her grandparents were Elizabeth
McDowell and John and Matilda Mullinax who were born in SC and died in AL.)
│ +-- Mary Alice SIMS, b. 22 Feb 1880, d. 13 Nov 1962 LaGrange, Troup
County, GA │ +-- Sara Elizabeth Ann SIMS, b. 15 Sep 1882, d. circa 1962 │
+-- John E. SIMS, b. Sep 1884 │ +-- Stephen Daniel SIMS Jr, b. 5 Apr 1889
Chambers County, AL, d. 19 Jun 1968 Opelika, Lee County, AL │ L-- Thomas A.
SIMS, b. Jan 1892

+-- Charles William Hampton "Hamp" or "W.H." SIMS, b. 4 Mar 1855 Opelika,
Russell County, AL, d. 25 Feb 1907 Lowell Community, Roanoke, Randolph
County, AL (Footnotes 6 and 7.) │ +Mary Elizabeth "Lizzie" or "Matilda"
MCDOWELL, b. 4 Oct 1853 Cusseta, AL, m. 5 Jan 1879 Chambers County, AL, d.
30 Oct 1934 Columbus, Muscogee County, GA, bur. after 30 Oct 1934 Roanoke,
Randolph County, AL (Her parents were John Thomas "Thomas" McDowell, born in
GA, and Mary A. Mullinax, born in SC. Her grandparents were Elizabeth
McDowell and John and Matilda Mullinax who were born in SC and died in AL.)

│ +-- Mary "Mollie" Elizabeth SIMS, b. 11 Apr 1880 Milltown, Chambers
County, AL, d. 6 Feb 1953, bur. after 6 Feb 1953 Rock Mill, Randolph County,
AL (Footnote 8.)

│ +-- William Marion "Mate" SIMS, b. 24 Oct 1881 Milltown, Chambers County,
AL

│ +-- Annie SIMS, b. 3 Oct 1884

│ +-- Minnie Ola "Ola" SIMS, b. 15 Mar 1888

│ +-- Wade Hampton "Wade" SIMS Sr, b. 6 Sep 1890 Milltown, Chambers County,
AL, d. 1 Jul 1963 Columbus, Muscogee County, GA

│ +-- Charles "Charlie" Thomas SIMS, b. 6 Sep 1893 Milltown, Chambers
County, AL, d. 6 Aug 1987 Jasper, Walker County, AL, bur. 8 Aug 1987 Jasper,
Walker County, AL

│ L-- Robert Lee SIMS, b. 16 Jul 1896 Milltown, Randolph County, AL, d. 27
Jul 1929 Roanoke, Randolph County, AL

+-- J. A. SIMS (Male), b. circa May 1860 AL

L-- Lula SIMS, b. after 1861 AL

Footnotes:

1. Date of Birth was calculated with a standard Genealogy Calculator based
on Tombstone information stating that at the time of his death he was 77
years, 4 months, 3 days old.

2. Tombstone reads: SACRED / to the memory of / FRANCIS SIMS, / who departed
this Life / Oct. 25th 18 C47: / aged 77 years 4 months / & 3 days. / He was
a native of Maryland.

3. Virginia Marriages to 1800: Betsy Primm to Francis Simms Fauquier County,
Virginia, 22 Dec 1797.

4. The 1900 Census states her birth as Dec 1828 and that she is 71 and born
in GA as was her father. Her mother was enumerated as born in Kentucky.

5. A search of Ancestry.Com for a Sarah married to a Sims shows garbled
information, but it is probable that the marriage of Morris Simmons to Sarah
Heard 10 Nov 1850 in Macon County AL is really a transcription error of the
Marion Sims to Sarah Heard marriage.

6. Mr. W.H. Sims, a good citizen of the Lowell community, died Sunday night
after a long illness. The remains were interred in Roanoke on Monday
afternoon with services conducted by Rev. T.J. Porter; The Roanoke Leader,
Randolph County, Alabama, NEWSPAPER ABSTRACTS FROM "THE ROANOKE LEADER",
Issue of Wednesday, February 27, 1907 File contributed for use in USGenWeb
Archives by: Candace Gravelle September 17, 2005.
Hereinafter cited as Roanoke Leader.

7. "You are hereby authorized to celebrate the Rites of Matrimony between
Charles W. H. Sims, 22 yrs and Elizabeth M. McDowell 22 yrs and this shall
be your sufficient authority for so doing. Given under my hand and seal this
4 day of January A. D. 1879. Rowland, Judge of Probate. The above named
parties were married by me at the bride's fathers on the 5 day of Jany A. D.
1879 N. R.Sorrells, JP; Marriage Bond: Chambers Co. AL, 4 Jan 1879. (Note:
It is likely that Elizabeth McDowell was older than Hamp Sims and that these
ages are not reliable.)

8. Mary Elizabeth Embrey.

9. 1881 per the 1900 Census has been recorded by some researchers as her
year of birth, but her cemetery marker has 1880 and this squares with the
1880 Census where Mollie is enumerated as the only child of Hamp and Matilda
Sims; The dates on Mary Elizabeth [Sims] Embrey's Cemetery Marker are: 11
Apr 1880-6 Feb 1953.

10. One researcher asserted to me the following but I have no documentation
that these assertions are true: "After hearing that Francis was born in
Maryland I was able to trace him to Charles Co., MD, and to connect him to
the Maryland Sims family whose progenitor was Marmaduke Semmes. The name has
been spelled in various ways, but the early members of the family usually
spelled it Semmes. Admiral Raphael T. Semmes, the Confederate naval hero,
was also of this family. The parents of my Francis Sims were another Joseph
Simms and his wife Elizabeth Dent. Joseph was the son of another Francis
Semmes and his wife Lucretia Chapman. Francis was the son of Marmaduke
Semmes II and his wife Elizabeth Clarkson. Marmaduke II was the son of
Marmaduke I and his wife Fortuna Watson.

Apparently, Francis Sims, b, 1771, had moved to Prince William Co., VA (just
across the Potomac River from Charles Co., MD), by 1790. He married
Elizabeth "Betsy" Primm in Fauquier Co., VA, in 1797, and they were in
Laurens Co., SC, by 1800. Then, around 1823 they moved to Shelby Co., AL,
where Francis spent the remainder of his life." Note: Elizabeth outlived
Francis and was in the 1850 Household of Joseph Sims, her son, in Macon Co
AL.

This thread: