SKAGGS-L Archives

Archiver > SKAGGS > 2009-03 > 1237904858

From: "Steve & Toni Norman" <>
Subject: Re: [SKAGGS] Some one needs our help
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:27:38 -0500

This is not my direct line, but a friend of mine's husband has family from
Lawrence, KY and they had some Skaggs information that they gave to me. It
is not documented well in my records, but this is what I have.

I show a Peter Skaggs born Mar 1835 in Lawrence, KY. He is married to Sarah
Ann Sparks Dec 1836 KY. They have a son named Henry Jefferson Skaggs born
1863. This is where my information ended. I searched census records and
found the following in 1900

1900 #128 Lyon, Lawrence, KY Jefferson Skaggs 37 Feb 1863 KY KY KY, Susie 35
Jan 1865 md 10 years 8 children 6 alive KY, Nancy 10 years old Jul 1890
KY, Sarah J 9 years old Jul 1890 KY KY KY, Manda 3 years old Nov 1896 KY,
Rindy female 1 year old Nov 1898 KY.

Notice Sarah J's birth and her sister Nancy's birth. Both say Jul 1890 but
Nancy is 10 and Sarah J is 9. Something is not correct. Most likely
Sarah's year of birth, but she is born in JUL according to this record.

For census records on Peter Skaggs, I have the following:

1870 pg 10 # 71 Precinct 4, Lawrence, KY Peter Scaggs 36 m KY, Sarah 35 f
KY, William 8 m KY, Henry J 6 m KY, Louisa J 4 f KY, Ruth 2 f KY.

1880 Butler, Wayne, WV Peter L Scaggs 46 KY, Sarah 45, 20 KY, Henry J 17 KY,
Louisa J 14 KY, Lucy E 11 KY, Sarah A 8 KY, Simon P 4 KY , Cristian 1 KY

I could not find Peter's family in 1900. Peter and Sarah may have died and
the children have married. Notice that Peter's family is in West Virginia
in 1880.

I don't know that Jefferson in 1900 is the Henry Jefferson son of Peter, but
their ages are close.

I don't know if this is your Sarah, but thought I would send this
information.

Toni Norman