SLAVEINFO-L Archives

Archiver > SLAVEINFO > 2005-08 > 1123195681

From: "Traci Wilson-Kleekamp" <>
Subject: Reading and Web Resources for African Americans in Missouri Research
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 17:48:01 -0500

Hey Everyone:

I've been keeping an eye on the Missouri State Archive's website for African American research resources.. check it out:
http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resources/africanamerican/guide/table.asp

The Callaway CO., Missouri Historical Society has a number of books noted on its website that would be of interest to researchers of that county: http://history.fulton.missouri.org/Publications.html. Check out: The Negro Kingdom: The Vanished Colony, by Loyd M. Barrow. (Published by Moosehead Communications Inc. 1996). The of descendants of slaves owned by Henry Cave Jr., and his two wives Frances Craig Cave; and Sarah Allen Cave; and John Calhoun and Sarah Suggett Cave. Henry Cave Jr., was the son of Henry Cave Sr. of Boone Co., MO. (Caves of Boone Co., MO: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=vedemarce&id=I02928)

I've been meaning to order a magazine all summer called the Organization of History -- OAH Magazine of History for some time now. I always get sidetracked in my attempt to check out an issue. I saw a sample at the school district's HQ's earlier this year and really liked what I could get from the magazine -- knowing it is geared for history teachers.

Here is an issue that is online focused on Family History.. http://www.oah.org/pubs/magazine/family/index.html

Also I've picked up several books that may be of interest to other researchers; they are inexpensive and may provide additional background information for your slave research in Missouri:

An Informal History of Black Families of the Warrensburg, Missouri Area by Lucille D. Gress (Published by Mid-America Press, Warrensburg, MO in 1997. I ordered what appears to be some of the last remaining copies. I know this book is available at the Missouri State Archives. If anyone is interested in ordering the book directly -- email me so I can give you the contact information)

Masters of the Big House, Elite Slaveholders of the The Mid-Nineteeth Century South by William Kauffman (Winner of the Jules and Frances Laundry Award for 2003. Published by the Louisiana State University Press, Baton Rouge, LA 2003) Read a review here: http://www.vahistorical.org/publications/review_Huston.htm I found a used copy of the book for a very reasonable price via Amazon books online.

Slavery North of St. Louis by George R. Lee You can order the book via the Lewis County Missouri Historical Society
http://www.rootsweb.com/~monemgs/featbook.html

Slavery in St. Louis ** website
By Scott K. Williams
Another interesting link to coincide with research in St. Louis
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mo/county/stlouis/slavery.htm

Searching for Jim.. Slavery in San Clemens's World by Terrell Dempsey.
Mr. Dempsey did an excellent series of articles for the Hannibal newspaper.
http://www.hannibal.net/stories/021001/fea_0210010052.html
I had to register (it's free) to read the articles; but I think you will find them very interesting and informative. The book was also mentioned in the latest edition of the Missouri State Historical Society magazine.

Stolen Childhood: Save Youth in Nineteenth Century America by University of Missouri Professor Wilma King. Published by Indiana University Press, 1995.

Remembering the Path to "T" Town by Roy and Stephanie Myers.
http://www.missouri-slave-data.org/slaveinfo.html
There is a link and summary of the book on my website -- make sure to check out the items on the Missouri Slave Data Page.. there may be some new items that you may have missed. Ms. Myers family has ties to Howard, Moniteau and Cooper Co., MO.

A Family Venture: Men and Women on the Southern Frontier, By Joan E. Cashin (Review via the Oxford University Press)
http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-505344-3
I found a couple of used copies via Amazon Books or Barnes&Noble.com
Description
This book is about the different ways that men and women experienced migration from the Southern seaboard to the antebellum Southern frontier. Based upon extensive research in planter family papers, Cashin studies how the sexes went to the frontier with diverging agendas: men tried to escape the family, while women tried to preserve it. On the frontier, men usually settled far from relatives, leaving women lonely and disoriented in a strange environment. As kinship networks broke down, sex roles changed, and relations between men and women became more inequitable. Migration also changed race relations, because many men abandoned paternalistic race relations and abused their slaves. However, many women continued to practice paternalism, and a few even sympathized with slaves as they never had before. Drawing on rich archival sources, Cashin examines the decision of families to migrate, the effects of migration on planter family life, and the way old ties were maintained and n!
ew ones formed.

The Lost German Slave Girl, by John Bailey (Read a review below: http://crime.allinfoabout.com/books/german.html -- this is an excellent book!!)
The Lost German Slave Girl by John Bailey
Reviewed by Bill Bickel
Rating: 4 Quarters out of 4

One of this year's most riveting courtroom dramas is a true story - and one that played out almost 200 years ago.
Was Sally Miller, the property of a cabaret owner in the Spanish Quarter of New Orleans, a slave from birth? Or was she actually Salome Muller, who came to the United States a quarter of a century earlier as part of a large group of German immigrants, and disappeared soon after her father died? Sally either doesn't remember or won't say, and becomes a prize to be fought over by Salome's relatives and by John Fitz Miller, Sally's former owner, who fears that this scandal will forever stain his family's honor. The case polarized the people of New Orleans (and eventually the rest of the South as well), presenting as it did two disturbing possibilities: a slave using the courts to win her freedom (and worse, the right to be treated as a white woman), or a white woman who'd been forced to live as a slave. As investigations into Salome's fate and Sally's past continue, the truth becomes less and less clear.
Mr. Bailey, who gives us an even-handed account even though (as he explains at the end) he has a definite opinion about who Sally Miller was, writes this meticulously-researched book as if it were a novel. If Sally Miller had never existed, Mr. Bailey's descriptions of the social and legal aspects of slavery in New Orleans (which in fact was the book he was intending to write before he came across Sally's story) and of the harrowing Ocean-crossing of the German immigrants (similar to the slave-ship passages from Africa, and forcing them into indentured servitude which in some ways granted them fewer legal rights than those guaranteed to African slaves) would have made this book well worth reading.

If anyone has a good book to refer to the list; please let us know. I would be very interested in hearing about the progress you're making in researching your families in Missouri.

traci wilson-kleekamp
african americans in missouri
www.missouri-slave-data.org

This thread: