SMALL-L Archives

Archiver > SMALL > 2005-04 > 1114308122

From: Jim Small <>
Subject: Re: [SMALL-L] Daniel SMALL -- Greene CO, TN Early Tax List
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:02:02 -0400

Rick,
your reference below fits into the Quaker bunch I've been working on that
went from VA to NC.

Thus far, I've found references to a Matthew Small in Quaker records early
in VA, he appears for a short time in NC, but then disappears, never to be
heard from again. I don't remember why you feel he is related to your
Daniel, but in looking at my file of people in Greene County TN,
specifically Night / Knight Small, he looks to trace back to NC Friends. If
this is not a direct decadency, your Matthew may have gone this route also,
or his son Daniel as you suggest.

Benjamin Small and wife Mary Knight had a son they named John Knight who m.
Elizabeth Bruce 3 Jun 1746 in Carteret Co., NC. They had one child I've
been able to identify, Knight Small. Ben and Mary have another son, Amos,
who migrated to TN also, descendants appear in Greene and Lincoln Co., TN.

Knight married Pheby Worley 9 Dec 1790 in Guilford Co., NC, they then appear
in Greene Co., TN marriage records, but I have no proof that these
individuals constitute a family group, they are all of the same approximate
age and in the same place at the same time, and could be closely related.
Small Greene Co., TN Date / Location
Phebe John Baley 12-26-1812
Sarah Aaron Mills 07-20-1814
Knight Catharine Litton 08-23-1814
Daniel Jr. Elizabeth Nixon 01-30-1823
John Lydia Johnson 02-10-1825

The Knight / Night Small then appears in your 1850 census, minus wife
(apparently dec'd)

The Matthew Small who m. Jane Henderson (s/o John and Margaret) also went to
TN, but his kids are pretty well documented, and no mention of a child named
Daniel, and siblings did not name a child Daniel, nor does the name appear
in other branches of the family, therefore, I'd look to the Quaker lines
from the tidewater as a better connection. They did have children named
Daniel, but none born early enough to be your man that I've found thus far.

I've been looking at two individuals among the Quakers that I have no info
on, Thomas and Matthew are both listed in VA and NC records, but leave the
Quakers very early. Both of these individuals were born very early 1700's,
possibly brothers and sons of John and Alce Small. I've been digging
through Quaker records trying to find info on them, have found a ton of
books with good source material, but a lot are just still names of books,
and no one has copies I can get info from. Still digging though.
Jim