SMITH-L Archives

Archiver > SMITH > 2001-07 > 0996379721

From: "Wanda Stegall" <>
Subject: Re: [SMITH] Spencer Smith Family of SC and TN
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 23:08:41 -0500

Dear Mary Nell,
As I wrote before he was born somewhere in TN, the eastern part I
believe in about 1826. It is suggested that he moved to IL with a boyhood
friend, Ike Mulvaney. They were involved in the task of removing the
Mormons from Nauvoo, IL. Ike married Harriet Gleason whose mother was
Mahalia Ward, the sister of Emma Ward who married Gilbert. Ike fought in
the Civil war, but have no proof that Gilbert did. After the Civil War he
moved to IA where Thomas his first son was born. I have 7 other children
who were born in IL. I do have him listed in the Iowa Census, 1838-70,
stating that in 1870 Gilbert P. Smith was in Wayne Co., Iowa in Wright
Township. I have family journal documentation that he was my ggrandfather
and the census proof. The other material is from notes from another
researcher, who is mainly interested in the Mulvaney family.
Does any of this sound familiar? If someone has the census records for
TN I wonder if any of you have ever found a Smith family with a child named
Gilbert Pinkley or Pinkney Smith?
Thanks for your help. Wanda