SMOTHERS-L Archives

Archiver > SMOTHERS > 2005-02 > 1108427424

From: "Noah & Pat" <>
Subject: RE: [SMOTHERS] Daughters of Joshua Smothers
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:30:26 -0600

Received from Bradley Good, August 11, 2004
LAST RITES SAID FOR VETERAN OF THE CIVIL WAR
FUNERAL SERVICE WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 28-BURIAL AT CAIN CEMETERY
Joshua Smothers, son of Mr. and Mrs. ben Smothers, was born in
Mercer County, Missouri, August 10, 1842, and passed away Tuesday morning,
November 27, 1934, at the age of 92 years, 3 months, and 16 days.
In 1861 he was united in marriage to Miss Timpy Simpson who preceded
him in death in 1875. A few years later he married Miss Lucreta Simpson. To
this union 10 children were born. The six preceding him in death are ; Mrs.
Livane Clark, Mrs. Cora Wiley, Mrs. Mae Towsley, Mrs. Oma Oswalt, Sherman
Smothers and Alex Smothers. Surviving him are his wife, Mrs. Lucreta
Smothers, of the home; 2 daughters, Mrs. Lida Watson, and Mrs. Lottie Craig;
2 sons, Grant Smothers and Francis Smothers, all of Cainsville, Missouri.
Also 37 grand-children, 8 great-grand children and 6 great-great grand
children.
He was a member of the Cainsville Baptist Church having joined the
church many years ago, transferring his membership from the Zion church to
the Cainsville Baptist church in 1910.
Mr. Smothers was a Civil War Veteran, Private of the late Captains
Moore's Company D, 23 Regiment of Missouri Infantry. He volunteered and was
enrolled February 20, 1862, and served his country for more than 3 years. He
was honorably discharged from the service of the United States March 13,
1865, at Fayetteville, North Carolina.
Funeral services were held at the family home in the southeast part
of Cainsville, Missouri, Wednesday morning, November 28, at 11 o'clock,
Reverand V. F. Walker officiating.
Vocal music were furnished by Miss Bertha Peterson, Mrs. Minnie
Oden, Mrs. Mattie Whittington, Mrs. Sally Wood, Reverand V. F. Walker, Mr.
W. J. Burrows and Mr. Charlie Oden, with Miss Florence Stoner at the organ.
By request the songs sang were, "Rock of Ages", "Shall We Gather at the
River", and 'Does Jesus Care."
Interment was made in the Cain cemetery, Ed. J. Stoklasa funeral
director in charge.

I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do
or any kindness that I can show to any human being let me do it now. Let me
not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
Author Unknown

Looking for a better Internet Service call Socket at 1-800-762-5383 and tell
them Noah Smothers recommends them.