SOG-UK-L Archives

Archiver > SOG-UK > 1999-12 > 0945006681

From: "Diana Mehew" <>
Subject: [SOG] Re: AUSTRALIAN SHIPWRECK-1845
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 13:51:21 -0000

Dear David

Thanks very much for all the information which you gave to me, I really
appreciate it. You are right, it is the Cataraqui in which I am interested.
One of the emigrants was Emmanuel Franklin (shown as Samuel in transcripts).
He was the eldest son of my 3xgreatgrandfather, and came from Eyeworth, a
small village of about 150 people in east Bedfordshire.

Some time ago I asked a very distant relative who lives in Australia whether
she could find out anything about the shipwreck, as I'd been unable to find
anything on internet. She sent me a few photocopied sheets from "Dire
Strait" A History of Bass Strait by Charles Bateson. This also refers to
Solomon Brown from Sutton in Bedfordshire (this is about 2 miles from
Eyeworth), but adds that he didn't survive his ordeal for long, He was found
drowned three years later in a creek near Melbourne, the water in which was
only eighteen inches deep.

In Bedford Record Office I found the original churchwarden accounts for
Eyeworth which details the money raised by local people to pay for the
emigrants to go. I feel sure it would have a great effect on the local
population, but so far haven't found any record of it in this country. It's
interesting to learn that it is remembered so well in Australia. I wonder
where the plaque or memorial is in England. I would like to get a copy of
the book you mention - do you have Hargreen Publishing's address so I can
contact them to this effect.

Thanks again for your help.

Diana