SOMGEN-L Archives

Archiver > SOMGEN > 2002-10 > 1035044333

From: "Kaufman Real Estate" <>
Subject: Re: [SOMGEN] Geneology Garney-Garee and Sturtz-Storts
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:18:53 -0300

Linda

Here is a small sample of my Garee-Garney information. I will gladly
exchange info.

I am also very interested in info that may connect the Sturtz-Storts family
to my Steorts-Storts family.

George Steorts was born in 1769 near Hagerstown or Gettysburg and died 1851
in Jane Lew, Lewis Co. (W)VA. My great gf's brother spelled the name Storts
(went to Missouri in 1850s,) and there were many other spelling, many with a
"Z" on the end, also Stotts and maybe Staats. The "E" in Steorts should
have probably never been put there. A legacy of our German background?

Linda

The first John Smith Garee of record was orphaned in the colonies,
indentured, reclaimed for cruelty, re-indentured as an orphan, served and
married in New Jersey. He joined the British army, served at Fort Pitt
against the French. Mustered out, he claimed land in the Pittsburgh area.
There is a powder horn dated 1765 that was to go to each John Smith Garee in
later generations. Now (1998) in the possession of Steve Garee?

J. S. G. had 12 children. The surviving children split into several
groups, some staying in the Fayette Co. Pa. area, around Greenville and
Grindstone, and some went west to Ohio. A John Smith Garee (1807-1884),
thought to be a grandson and the son of Job Garee, went to Marion Co. WV.
where he married Nancy Ann Hayhurst. They later moved to Braxton Co. WV.

LINDA STEORTS KAUFMAN: - GAREE - BOGGS - STEORTS FAMILY

1 John Smith GAREE
.. 2 [1] Job GAREE b: June 30, 1780 in New Jersey d: September 06, 1875 in
Greene Twp., Indiana Co., PA
...... +SARAH b: Abt. 1785 in New Jersey d: Bef. 1870 in Indiana Co. PA
....... 3 Elma J. GAREE b: Abt. 1810 in Indiana Co. PA
........... +KNEEDLER
....... 3 Mary B. GAREE b: Abt. 1815 in Indiana Co. PA d: December 07,
1898 in Hillsdale, Indiana Co. PA
........... +SMITH
....... 3 Henry GAREE b: Abt. 1820
....... 3 Sarah A. GAREE b: Abt. 1825 in Indiana Co. PA
........... +CHAPMAN
....... 3 Ellis F. GAREE b: Abt. 1830 in Indiana Co. PA d: January 19,
1903 in White Township, Indiana Co. PA
........... +Martha STEWART
....... 3 [2] John Smith GAREE b: March 09, 1807 in Indiana Co., PA d:
June 13, 1884 in Garee Low Gap, Braxton Co., WV
........... +[3] Nancy Ann HAYHURST b: May 09, 1821 in Monongalia Co., (W)V
d: October 11, 1897 in Garee Low Gap, Braxton Co., WV Father: Benjamin
Hayhurst Mother: Elizabeth Jolliffe
.. *2nd Wife of [1] Job GAREE:
...... +Sarah SMITH b: 1787 in New Jersey d: May 24, 1869 in Greene Twp.,
Indiana Co., PA
....... 3 Sarah A. GAREE b: in Indiana Co., PA
....... 3 Elma J. GAREE b: in Indiana Co., PA