SOUTH-AFRICA-CAPE-TOWN-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA-CAPE-TOWN > 2009-09 > 1254202650

From: "Heather MacAlister - Ancestry 24" <>
Subject: Re: [SOUTH-AFRICA-CAPE-TOWN] Plumstead Cemetary
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 07:37:30 +0200

Sorry - you asked "Where in Cape Town is Plumstead Cemetry located?"

Residential suburb of Cape Town adjoining Wynberg on the north and in the Wynberg district. It lies 14 km south of Central Cape Town and is partly situated on the site of the old military camp of the Dutch East India Company. By 1823 a growing village already occupied the site

Thriving commercial and residential suburb of Cape Town, 13 km south of the City Hall and situated in the district of Wynberg. The name derives from the vineyard laid out by Van Riebeeck in 1658 on his farm Bosheuvel (now named Bishopscourt), on the slopes of Wynberg Hill. Van Riebeeck also planted a hedge of wild almonds, intended to keep the Hottentots out of the

settlement. It ran across Wynberg Hill, and portions are still visible and have been declared a historical monument. On the recommendation of the acting Governor, Sir Richard Bourke, part of the Wynberg military camp was sold off in building lots, and land was granted to the Dutch Reformed Church in 1831 and to the Anglican church of St. John (much altered since) in 1836. The old D.R. church, built in 1839, is still in existence, but was extensively altered in 1889 and proclaimed a historical monument in 1965. Most of the area of the future village lay on the estate of Klein Oude Wynberg, part of the farm Oude Wynberg which dates back to the early days of the Cape settlement. Klein Oude Wynberg was subdivided, houses began to spring up under shady avenues, and prosperous Capetonians began building country villas there. British officials on leave from India favoured Wynberg as a holiday resort and by 1840 over a hundred visitors from India were living there, mostly in the sub!
urb named Kenilworth. The streets were lined with rustic cottages, interspersed with handsome houses.

By the 1850's this influx of Indian visitors was checked by the Indian Mutiny, faster transport, and the attractions of Australia. Wynberg consequently became neglected, but in 1886 the authorities decided to construct extensive barracks and other military works at the Wynberg camp, and the village revived. There was a spate of building and grocers, butchers, bakers, launderers and tavernkeepers prospered, catering to the thousands of soldiers who passed through the camp. Wynberg became a separate municipality in 1886 and retained its identity until 1927, when it was incorporated in Cape Town. It even had its own water-supply from three reservoirs on the top of Table Mountain. The second railway in the Cape was built from Salt River junction to Wynberg in 1862. After the Second Anglo-Boer War the importance of Wynberg camp dwindled, and in consequence Old Wynberg gradually deteriorated, the centre of activity moving down toward the main road and the railway.

About 1954 the architect Brian (Sonny) Heseltine started on the restoration of Old Wynberg. He realised that the village contained some fine examples of Regency architecture and that many of the cottages could be saved. He renovated several dwellings in Durban Road and Victoria Road, and others have faithfully restored their own charming cottages. Through their combined efforts Old Wynberg was renewed as an aesthetic, architectural and cultural entity - promptly dubbed `Little Chelsea' - that is unique in South Africa.

Wynberg Park, on the slopes of Wynberg Hill, comprises 3 8 ha of parkland and forest. Maynardville, with its unique open-air theatre which has maintained an annual Shakespearean season since 1956, is another public park.

District. Area 430 sq km, containing the west coast of the Cape Peninsula from Chapman's Peak to Llandudno, which includes Hout Bay and the peninsula of the Karbonkelberg. The district comprises the southern suburbs of metropolitan Cape Town from Observatory to Lakeside; the residential areas of Constantia, Bergvliet and Meadowridge (to the west of the railway); the Cape Flats suburbs of Athlone, Crawford, Wetton, Southfield, Grassy Park and Steenberg; the residential areas of Ottery, Matroosfontein, Lavistown, Welcome Estate and Surrey Estate; and the Bantu townships of Langa and Nyanga. It also includes the agricultural settlements of Philippi, where a large part of Cape Town's vegetables is produced, and the railway junction of Eerste River. The production of potatoes in the district in 19678 was 176 767 pockets (of 371 lb or 17 kg). The district contains a section of the False Bay coast from a point west of Strandfontein to the mouth of the Eerste River, east of Macassar!
Beach. The University of Cape Town, Groote Schunr Provincial Hospital, Kirstenbosch Botanic Garden, Kenilworth racecourse and Youngsfield aerodrome all lie within the Wynberg district. Population (1970): White 129 543; Coloured 322 352; Asiatic 5982; Bantu 97 732.

Military camp. During the rule of the Dutch East India Company a military camp had been in existence at Wynberg which was occupied by the British in 1795. Maps of 1780 and 1796, however, show that this camp was situated on the plain, in the vicinity of present-day Plumstead. During their first occupation the British did not use Wynberg Hill as a camp; the bulk of their troops were quartered in the barracks in Cape Town and in the Castle. When a move was made into the country about 1800, it was to Rondebosch Common (the Camp Ground), where reviews were held. Under the Batavian regime, Rondebosch Common continued to be used as a military camp, but in 180g the Colonial government acquired an area from Alexander Tennant, and Wynberg Camp came into being. At first it had no great concentration of troops. In 1826 it consisted of a military hospital, five or six tumbledown barrack huts, and a ruined store. In 1886 the British decided to construct extensive barracks and other milita!
ry works at the

pg549
Wyndham

camp. After the Second Anglo-Boer War, Wynberg Camp lost some of its former importance, but the Union Defence Force restored it to eminence.

Heather MacAlister
Channel Manager
T  +27 (021) 446 5200

M + 27 (0)82 8082251  |  F +27 (0)86 581 0390  |  twitter.com/ancestry24  |  skype.com/ancestry24
7th Floor Media City, 1 Heerengracht, Cape Town, 8000  |  www.ancestry24.co.za