SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Tessa King" <>
Subject: Becky's Christmas look-ups - Part II - KING
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:39:06 +0200

Hi Becky

Thank you!! Just yesterday I was sorting out my LANDREY information
and today read this posting.

Jane KING nee LANDREY is the wife of Charles KING. I have no other
details for him. One of their children is Ethel Maud Mary who
obviously never married.

Charles Ault KING....wish I knew the name of his parents? Anyone know?
Possible contenders are William KING and Mary CLARK who had a number
of other children. Charles Ault KING was born abt 1847 if one
calculates from his death date and age at death. I also have his
brother named George Ault KING. I have the following information on
Charles:

January 1880: Clerk to the Superintendent of the Fingoes, Kamastone
1881: Served through Basuto Rebellion during 1881 as Landrey's light
horse
May 1884: Clerk in charge, collector of revenue, and issue of process
Middledrift, King William's Town
July 1891: Inspector of Tribal Locations
1 January1894: Assistant Magistrate, Keiskama Hoek
22 November 1895: Road Magistrate

This entry in the Cape Directory of 1916 could belong to Charles:
King, C A (Brabant formely Berlin) in King Williamstown District in
1916 Cape Directory

George Ault KING married Eliza Oceana BEASLEY born May 1856 died 20
Dec 1877, King William's Town on 18 Aug 1875 at Church of the Holy
Trinity, King William's Town. Two children: Charles William Ault KING,
William George KING.

This is what I have on William KING - born abt 1812 and was a Barrack
Sergeant. Wife: Mary Clark (no reference). Children:

Ellen Mary * 7 Sept 1850, died 11 Nov 1850
Alfred * 16 Sept 1851
Lewis Henry Ault * 14 June 1855 (Attorney in KWT)
John * 23 Apr 1856
Mary Ann * 23 Apr 1856
Jessey * 17 Aug 1857
Emma * 8 Jan 1859

The above are from baptisms.

Also have children for a William and Mary (no maiden name) and
possibly the same couple:
Charles
George
Lewis Henry....perhaps same person as above??
Florence * 1860
These are all of Mary's DN. She was born in Ipswich, Norfolk, England.

If anyone can help knock down this brickwall, it would be greatly
appreciated.
Kind regards and thanks again Becky
Tessa