SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Doug Bailes" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] Newspaper cuttings from the Eastern Cape - St. John's Church in Bathurst
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:07:06 -0800

Extending on the Thomas Hartley story:-

Thomas Hartley Senior played an important part in the day to day living at
Bathurst. He was the local Smithy and "tooth puller". Not many years after
his arrival he spread his wings into building. A Plaque in the entrance of
the Pig & Whistle states that in 1831 he built the Inn then known as the
Bathurst Inn.
Although he was a leading member of the Church of England, it is recorded as
far back as 1825 that he allowed his Methodist friends to hold their weekend
services at his forge.
William Boardman the resident Anglican minister who accompanied the
settlers from England and Mr Thomas Hartley senior had some major
disagreement which in later years led to Thomas deciding to leave his church
and he together with his family crossed to the Methodists.
Hartley "was an adopted son of the Methodist Church" for many years but at
heart he must have had a calling to the Church of England because when he
fell seriously ill he asked Rev Barrow (the third incumbent since Boardman)
to take him back into the Anglican church. In July 1840 he died and was
accorded the honour to be buried alone in the front section of the St John's
Churchyard.