SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Edric Russell" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] GOOD TEMPLERS
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 15:38:19 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "valerie" <>
To: <>
Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2005 1:16 PM Subject: [ZA-EC] GOOD TEMPLERS

Hi, Charles BUTT in some letter he wrote (have not yet unearthed it, wrote
that he belonged to the "Good Templers ?" Society. Can anyone help?

***********

I dont know all that much about them, but I do know that they still existed
in Queenstown some 20 years ago. They were called the International Order
of Good Templars (I.O.G.T for short) and also a group who called themselves
The International Order of True Templars (I.O.T.T.). Both groups seemed
very similar to me. All the members that I knew were black and consisted
of the religious elite of that community. I saw them mainly at funerals
where they were well turned out and wore fancy sashes similar to the Masons.
They also had a ritual ceremony at the grave side, similar to that used by
the masons. I remember being told one day that their main object was to
hold meetings where there were various ceremonies, but that the driving
force that brought them together, was their objection to alcohol in any
form.

I might be very wrong, but in the back of my mind, I have some idea that
they were associated in some way with the Sons of England, a type of semi
masonic organization that flourished in Queenstown (and no doubt in other
places as well) years ago.

This thread: