SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Becky Horne" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] Extract from The Emigrant's Guide to South Africa 1880
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:53:04 +0200

Hi Sue

Thanks you for sharing this with us.

I find this snippet on Port Elizabeth very interesting pertaining to the,
"The Kaffir location, on the Hill." Is there perhaps any further expansion
or photographs?

We did once have a Malay Quarter, [similar to District Six, Cape Town] in
South End close to the harbour. I've not heard about this location before
and always thought that The Hill mainly had settler inhabitants.

I've learnt another new snippet on my home town. Will follow it up with the
PE historical fundies in the meantime.

Best wishes
Becky