SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L ArchivesArchiver > SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE > 2006-03 > 1141937001
From: "Debbie Nelson" <>
Subject: RE: [ZA-IB] LOWER ALBANY CHRONICLE - COCK, DELL, NELSON, JARVIS, DAVIES, NORDEN, WRIGHT, KEETON, HEIDEMAN - PART THREE
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 22:43:21 +0200
"28 January 1841: Heideman, Cock and Company were about to close their
business at Grahamstown."
"7 February 1841: William COCK was visiting Port Frances."
"11 February 1841: Among subscribers to a fund for the construction of a new
road between Port Frances and Grahamstown were George HODGSKIN and William
COCK. It was to pass through Robert FEATHERSTONE's farm, joining the old
road at Woest Hill."
"18 March 1841: Victoria Village on the right bank of the Kowie River, had
been renamed and was now called Richmond. From there William COCK advertised
cargo for sale, out of 'Africaine'.
"26 April 1841: Heideman, Cock and Company's premises at Port Elizabeth had
"13 May 1841: A cottage at Port Frances occupied by William COCK was offered
to let by the Reverend James MURRAY. ...At Grahamstown a meeting was held of
all the subscribers to the proposed Albany Steam Navigation Company. George
HODGSKIN was present. It was proposed that the company be formed with a
capital of £7, 000, in shares of £20, to be invested in an iron and steam
vessel. This was carried. The following were elected directors: W. THOMPSON,
Joshua NORDEN, Thomas NELSON, James BLACK, William OGILVIE, William COCK,
and James HOWSE. Joshua NORDEN was elected Chairman, James BLACK appointed
Treasurer, and John NELSON Auditor."
7 November 1842: Sir John St. Aubyn, Master William TRAIN, reached Port
Frances three and a half days out from Cape Town. Her passengers included
David and William HANNAY, W. PATTISON, Mrs. POWRIE with three children, Miss
COCK and William COCK.
10 November 1842: William COCK offered grocery and building material out of
Sir John St. Aubyn, for sale at Port Frances.
"13 July 1843: William COCK offered Glenfillan to let, with part of Holling
Grove, 9000 acres in all."
"19 October 1843: William COCK offered 100 oxen for sale on Hope Farm."
"8 August 1844: William COCK offered grocery for sale there [at Port Frances
"16 January 1845: William COCK offered a three-roomed cottage to let, about
fifty yards from the right bank of the Kowie River at Port Frances."
"28 August 1945: The Trustees of the Port Frances Chapel , the Reverence
George GREEN, George JARVIS, John TOVEY, Samuel BRUMMAGE and John DAVIES,
acquired Lot No. 6 of Block B on the right bank of Port Frances from William
"3 September 1845: William COCK warned against shooting on his property at
"27 December 1845: William COCK and his son William, trading as William Cock
and Son, warned against employing an absconded member of the crew of
"31 January 1846: H.M. Steam Sloop Thunderbolt, Captain George BROKE,
arrived off Port Frances with 216 men of 27th Regiment under Captain
DURNFORD. Master C. SALMOND was in Thunderbolt as Pilot. Captain CANNON,
Aide-de-Camp to the Governor, arrived at the port to advise that the
re-inforcements were not needed. Thunderbolt left for Port Elizabeth.
Fishing boats were very active at Port Frances. One of them, a whale-boat,
belonged to William COCK."
"6 February 1846: William COCK and Son advertised soft-goods, for sale at
their Grahamstown store."
"27 February 1846: A public meeting was help at Bathurst to consider the
state of the frontier, and to take steps to meet coming danger. William COCK
junior was Chairman."
21 March 1846: William COCK junior reached Port Frances from Grahamstown
with Government order for all people to put themselves in a defensive
15 May 1846: Mentioned in despatches for a distinguished part in operations
were Commandants Samuel BRADSHAW, Stephen DELL, William McLUCKIE, William
FULLER at Merville Station, Joseph WALKER the younger, William COCK junior,
and Messrs. William SHEPHERD and James USHER, the two latter for brave
conduct in the defence of Port Frances Station.
28 November 1846: The schooner Montagu, 30 tons, Master J. WOODS, was
launched at Port Frances by Elizabeth COCK.
31 December 1846: Coal had been found on the lower Kowie River. William
COCK junior had taken samples to Grahamstown, and shafts were sunk.
25 January 1847: Six hundred re-captured cattle were allotted to the
Bathurst Field-cornetcy. Field-cornet Samuel BRADSHAW, Field-captain Thomas
BIDDULPH and Commandant William COCK junior were appointed to attend to
distribution of them among claimants.
16 August 1847: A public meeting was held at Bathurst on the question of
separate government for the Eastern Districts. William COCK junior took the
30 November 1847: Henry BLAINE, Cornelius COCK, Robert JARVIE, Charles
MAYNARD and William SMITH were proclaimed Commissioners for Improving Port
Frances Harbour with Charles MAYNARD as Chairman.
31 October 1848: Surgeon Edwards DAVIES of Grahamstown was married at
Richmond House, Port Frances, by the Reverend John AYLIFF to Eliza RICKARD.
William COCK junior and Cornelius COCK were witnesses.
31 December 1848: William COCK junior had been married to Lucy NETHERTON of
20 February 1849: Isaac HAYTON, Francis HEIDEMAN, William COCK and William
COCK junior entered into partnership as Heideman, Hayton and Company of
London, and Heideman, Cock and Company of Cape Colony merchants.
28 February 1849: William GRAY and William COCK junior were elected to the
committee of the newly-formed Eastern Province Agricultural Association.
7 May 1849: At Richmond House the Reverend John SMITH married Charles
WRIGHT and Mary THOMPSON, both of Grahamstown. Witnesses were Edward
THOMPSON, John NELSON, William COCK junior, Cornelius COCK and Joshua
27 June 1849: Cornelius COCK was married at Richmond House by the Reverend
John SMITH to Letitia, daughter of Assistant Commissary-general SMITH.
Witnesses were William COCK junior and John NELSON.
30 November 1849: A public meeting, held at Bathurst to consider the
question, condemned the proposed establishment of a penal settlement in the
Colony. Walter CURRIE junior was chairman. Resolutions were moved and
seconded, respectively, by William GRAY and Benjamin KEETON; Charles SLATER,
now at Port Prances, and Thomas COCKROFT; William COCK junior and Edward
DELL junior; Benjamin KEETON and Stephen DELL; John DELL and Joseph WEAKLEY;
Septimus BOWKER, staying at Tharfield, and Thomas PAGE; William COCK and
Robert GODLONTON. At the meeting, a subscription was taken for a mark of
appreciation of Colonel G. McKINNON as Commissioner, British Kaffraria.
18 July 1850: Heideman, Cock and Companys steam-mill at Port Frances was
completed, and was ready to receive corn for grinding.
19 July 1850: Cornelius COCK was using a 2 horse-power threshing-machine on
|RE: [ZA-IB] LOWER ALBANY CHRONICLE - COCK, DELL, NELSON, JARVIS, DAVIES, NORDEN, WRIGHT, KEETON, HEIDEMAN - PART THREE by "Debbie Nelson" <>|