SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Joan HOPE <>
Subject: MUNDELL
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 15:01:03 +1000 (EST)

How is Edward Wood MUNDELL connected to Elizabeth Rebecca MUNDELL?

Also what are the names of Edward Wood MUNDELL and sarah ULYATE's children? You mentioned that you had the names of 6 of the 9.

Joan

Viv Kymdell <> wrote:
Hi Anthony and Jen,

>From my little book by Corrin, 'James Mundell and his Descendants' on pg 45:

b2 Elizabeth Rebecca MUNDELL *1818 x Grahamstown [by Rev John Heavyside]
22.9.1836 William FINAUGHTY + Cradock 24.9.1872

Elizabeth was 2 years old when she arrived in SA with her parents and older
brother Henry. William FINAUGHTY lost his father while he was still a child
and together with his brother and sister, he accompanied his mother and
stepfather to SA in 1820. Elizabeth and William had no children and
Elizabeth adopted her niece Mary Ann MUNDELL, the daughter of her brother
Henry, after his first wife had died. The FINAUGHTY's owned the farm
Rietvlei in the Winterberg ward and William was reputed to be a rich man.
After her husband died, Elizabeth sold Rietvlei to her nephew Henry Charles.
She is then believed to have moved to the Transvaal with other members of
the family. The date of her death has not beeen established, nor where she
is buried.

Ditto pg 61.

There is a bit about Edward Wood MUNDELL x 3.2.2843 Sarah Jane ULYATE *
20.3.1924, dau of Henry ULYATE, which may not be of interest, then:

The ULYATES were also 1820 Settlers and emigrated with WAIT's Party in the
Zoroaster. A son was born to them during the voyage to the new land and was
about two months old when the ship arrived at its destination. He was
accordingly christened George Zoroaster ULYATE. Sarah's mother, Lucy, whose
maiden name was MOULS, was a widow when she married Henry. Her first
husband William FINAUGHTY hailed from Ireland and she bore him three
children. The eldest son William, named after his father, married Edward's
sister Elizabeth in 1836. The MUNDELL family was said to be very fond of
Sarah and she was affectionately called Aunt Sally by the younger members.
Edward and Sarah had nine children, but only the names of six are known with
certainty. [The children are listed].

Hope this proves to be a piece of the puzzle!

Regards,

Viv Kymdell