SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Becky Horne" <>
Subject: Newspaper cuttings from the Eastern Cape - STEED
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 11:51:15 +0200

Hi Folks

Please join me in welcoming Helga Sankey to the List. Hope you going to
be very happy with us. Here is a snippet of news from an Eastern Cape
Newspaper, which I hope makes you feel right at home.

Herald, 18 June 2004
100 Years Ago by Ivor Markman
A selection of interesting century-old snippets from The Herald of
yesteryear.

A boat with three men capsized between the North and South Jetties. The
men had just left the South Jetty, having taken a raft of logs from the
ship 'Cambria' to be discharged there. The men were seen floundering
about in the water, with the boat bottom up.

However, they managed to cling to the upturned craft, and Mr. Richard
STEED, assistant Marine Superintendent and two men, with all haste,
lowered a boat and proceeded to the spot. No doubt if it had not been
for the prompt action of the above gentleman, a drowning fatality would
have occurred.

Best wishes
Becky

This thread: