SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Marielle Ford" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] Settler Correspondence re MOUNCEY's Party
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 14:45:37 +0200

Wonderful piece of history, that is! I imagine that there must have been
great temptation to fiddle the books with all that was going on at the
time. Mr Anonymous is my kind of guy - hating any injustice!!

Sue, if you want me to take a look at the ?? bits, please feel free to send
it on over.

Regards
Marielle

On 10/05/06, Sue Mackay <> wrote:

> Transcribed from a letter in CO48/41 at the National
> Archives in Kew, London.
>
> A note on the back says the letter was anonymous.
> Microsoft's spell checker desperately wanted to have a
> go at this - red and green all over the place!!
>
> Sue
>
> 155
> Sheffield, Nov 9th 1819
> Sir, Mr.GOULBURN
> I am a man that has been allowed to read the
> newspaper and it expresses that they shall be able
> boddied individuals that goes to the Cape of Good
> Hope. Sir, I have to inform you that Charles MOUNTCEY
> is the unfitest man that ever I saw, I think he is as
> bad of an Asmecomplain? as ever I saw one. More over
> than this it breaks the sircaler and all articals. Sir
> there is a wors thing than all beside them that has
> got 3 children he placed them with others to cheat the
> deposit money. I believe He imself has eather 5 or 6
> children and he only pays for 2 of them and the poor
> man that is going along with im he makes them pay
> thare own deposits and the poor creatours has been to
> solicit thair friends and sould thair firniture and
> some has raised all the money and some 5 or 6 pounds
> and he promises them thire land when thay land on the
> colleny and thay have nothing to show for thaire
> money. Sir I ham shure sum of them nevr can reach the
> ship because they have no money to help them. Sir the
> reason why the mony did not com to you sooner the poor
> man was distres in themselvs for to raise it and I
> believe he donot caire. If all men faile he thinks he
> shall get all thire money imself and he imself is
> hored? up til the letter come to fech them by reason
> of rits been out against im for Det. This I was tould
> by sum of the parish? I hear is sum of the men wich
> carractures is ?? and very creddible. Sir if you for
> firther inform you may right eather to Sam'l SHILLITO
> or to Thos. CARR or Geo CARLILE or Geo FIELS? Or any
> other you think proper. Sir, those ?? com from a
> friend and welwisher of is King and Cuntry, near
> Sheffield.
>
> [note on back of letter: anonymous, respecting Mr.
> Chas. MOUNCEY, the head of a party of settlers]

This thread: