SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - Alexander BISSET
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:23:35 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed by Peter Kirkman from photographs of
correspondence in CO48/41 at the National Archives in
Kew, London

491-494
No.139 Long Acre
London
12 Sept.1819
My Lord,
On the other side you will receive a list of persons
whom I propose taking with me to the Cape of Good Hope
and I trust your Lordship will find this in all
respects as eligible as most offer made.
In it your Lordship will observe there are a father
with his five sons who except one have been bred to
agricultural pursuits from their infancy, and their
respective families amounting in all to 18 it is
therefore not likely such an association will fall to
pieces from discord : the other individuals of the
party are not picked up by chance but well known to
Mr. CURRIE and myself.
Should this offer meet your Lordship’s approbation it
would be most desirable to know it as soon as
convenient to your Lordship several of the party
having their furniture to dispose of and other little
matters to arrange which would subject them to great
loss were they obliged to quit at short notice.
I am also ready to conform to all the conditions
expressed by Government in their Circular letters
relative to granting land in the Colony of the Cape of
Good Hope.
I have the Honour to be My Lord
Your Lordship’s most obd’t svt
Alex. BISSET

Name of person intending taking out the settlers:
*Alexander BISSET, Lieut.R.N. aged 32 years

Names of the Settlers,Profession or Trade,Age,Names of
the Women,Age,Male Children,Age,Female Children,Age

Walter CURRIE 1,Farmer,56
Walter CURRIE 2,Purser R.N.,34,Ann CURRIE,24,Walter
CURRIE 6m Wm. CURRIE 2,Mary Ann CURRIE 4 Marg’t CURRIE
?

Jas. CURRIE,Farm labourer,31,Marg’t CURRIE,27,J.
CURRIE3m Geo. CURRIE 6,Helen CURRIE 4

Geo. CURRIE,Do.,29,Janet CURRIE,27,W. CURRIE 5 J.
CURRIE 2, Janet CURRIE 3

Adam CURRIE,Do.,24
Charles CURRIE,Do.,19
Jas. PATERSON,Carpenter,24
Rich’d PAYNE,Do.,38,Marion PAYNE,38,G. PAYNE 4 Rich’d
PAYNE 6,M? PAYNE 2

Thos. AUBIN,Farmer,22
Jno. ROBERTS,Carpenter,28
Thos. COOK,Farm lab.,26
,,,Elizabeth SCOTT,31

,,,*Alicia BISSET,28,Alex BISSET 4 Jno. BISSET 2,Sarah
BISSET 6

The names starting with Walter CURRIE (2) down to Jas.
PATERSON have been bracketed with the following note :
These, (excepting Walter CURRIE (2)) are residing near
Langholm Dumfries Shire Scotland, and would be glad to
embark at a Scotch Port.

495/496
Old Broad Street
Dear Sir,
The enclosed is a copy of an application which has
been made to Lord Bathurst on the subject of
emigration to the cape, by Mr. Alexr. BISSET a Gent
whom I have known for several years past, and believe
to be a very respectable and proper person for the
object in question. I am anxious to facilitate that
object, and shall feel obliged by your giving the
business your kind air in the proper quarter.
Mr. BISSET would not leave England if he could
support his Family in It and I have reason to believe
the Association he has firmed is as highly eligible an
one for the purpose as could be made.
Mr. BISSET’s father was many years a Schoolmaster in
the neighbourhood of Croydon, and his Brother is
Rector of Addington in Surrey, which he got from His
Grace the Archbisop of Canterbury, therefore Mr.
BISSET is respectably connected, and I can with safety
and propriety recommend him as a fit person for
selection on this occasion.
Requesting your usual attention to my request, and
that you will pardon the terms
I remain with esteem dear sir
(unreadable signature)
Joseph REID
[And at the very bottom of the page] : Joseph ALLCOCK
Esq]

Yahoo! For Good - Sponsor a London Marathon runner - http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/charity/london-marathon

This thread: