SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - Astley BOWDLER
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 21:15:47 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed fron CO48/41 at the National Archives in
Kew, London

307/308
Shrewsbury
Aug 3rd 1819
Sir,
Having observed in a paper that Government have
granted a sum of money to encourage emigration to the
Cape of Good Hope as settlers but not being informed
how to apply I wrote to Lord CASTLEREAGH on the 17th
ult who has informed me I must apply to the Colonial
Office. I have to beg to be informed the encouragement
intended to be offered by Government also the terms
under which the grant of land will be held.
I am 42 years of age with a wife and 3 children, 2
boys an 1 girl. I was brought up a farmer, land
surveyor, engineer &c, which I have all my life
practised in an extensive general way in the
cultivation and valuation of land, timber &c &c.
Surveying, map & inclosing of land, ornamental and
forest plantations, drainage, irrigation, canals, iron
railways, public roads, sea & river embankments &c and
from an early age have had considerable practical
experience of building, collieries, mining & the iron
trade.
Having a few years back embarked on considerable
property in an extensive and flattering speculation
which turned out unfortunate and having abandoned my
professional business to give thorough attention to
the endeavour to mature it by counteracting villainous
combinations. When I wished to return to my profession
I found my ?commition? lost and the times so changed
that little has been to be done in any branch of it
and hundreds like myself ready to catch at the little
offering. I have consequently not been getting a
living for a few years back nor do I see any prospect
of amendment. I shall therefore be glad to emigrate
with a prospect of remuneration for industry,
convinced we are much too thick upon this little
island.
Having all my life been accustomed to very active
outdoor employment I prefer a continuance, and not
having the means of entering into the agricultural
line again in this country. I would soon prefer hard
labour of the cultivating of a spot of my own to any
precarious subordinate situation or sedentary life and
having long relinquished the gaieties of life
retirement and domestic comfort are now my pursuit.
I have the honour to be obediently
Astley BOWDLER