SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - John BERNEY
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 18:02:04 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed from CO48/41 at the National Archives in
Kew, London

497
Gory
Ireland
13th Sept 1819
Sir,
I have received yours of the 8th inst explaining the
nature of the encouragement held forth by Government
to persons going as settlers to the Cape of Good Hope.
There are several people of this neighbourhood who
wish to go under my direction for whose information
you’ll oblige me by replying to the following
questions.
Is it necessary to go to London personally to be
examined whether you be a fit person to emigrate or
not?
Can I bind my servants or trades people who I mean to
take out to the fulfilment of a certain number of
years service there in consideration of the sum of
money I advance for them; they entering into
agreements here to that effect?
What point will the transports sail from?
As the time for preparations is so short I would feel
much obliged by your informing me of these particulars
as soon as possible.
I am Sir your most obd’t
John BERNEY