SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - Joseph BOWDEN
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 18:20:23 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed from CO48/41 at the National Archives in
Kew, London

557
Plymouth
Sept 28th 1819
My Lord,
I hope you will pardon the liberty I have taken in
addressing your Lordship but interested as I am I know
not what else to do. I am by trade my Lord a cartwheel
wright and through the turn of things here I have not
been able to get any work at my own business these 2
years past. I had come to a determination to go out to
the Cape of Good Hope and had agreed (with several
more) with Mr. George REEVES of Exeter who we
understood had a grant with certain encouragement from
your Lordship to take out a certain number of persons.
From some reason or other he informs us he cannot
stand by proposals with us. If your Lordship would
have the goodness to inform me by what means I can go
out to the Cape of Good Hope I should ever feel
grateful for your Lordship’s goodness. I am my Lord a
young man and can get a character for my abilities and
sobriety and flatter myself that I could make myself
very usefull to the Colony. I understand my Lord there
is a deposit of 10£ to be paid. I have as much money
and will gladly pay it - if your Lordship would have
the goodness to answer this you would confer a great
favour on your Lordship’s humble servant
Joseph BOWDEN
At Mr.PRIN’s
No.3 Higher Street
Plymouth