SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE > 2006-05 > 1147971920


From: patfryk <>
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] Settler Correspondence - Thomas BRINT / BRENT
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 05:05:20 +1200
References: <BAY112-F2963893A3E09165E3E34E3F6A60@phx.gbl>


years ago I made an index of Keppel-Jones' book. (strange that such a very
good historical account should be without an index) The names Brent/Brint
are not there As I no longer have that book I can't check for details of
children's deaths either. Not much help, except a negative one!
PatF
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hunt" <>
To: <>
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2006 3:27 AM
Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] Settler Correspondence - Thomas BRINT / BRENT


> Dear Sue and Russell,
> Thanks for your wonderful replies. I can clearly see the dotted i in
> the photographs. As you say, Russell, the name later became accepted as
> Brent. He was buried as Brent, as we saw in recent correspondence on this
> site.
> I see the London List of Bradshaw's party in M.D. Nash, and it does
> indeed show John and Charles, aged 2 & 1. They probably did not arrive
> at the Cape, confirming that they probably died of measles on board ship.
> Does anyone have access to the book mentioned in Nash:- "Phillips, 1820
> Settler", by A Keppel-Jones? Since it has a detailed account of the
> Kennersley Castle's trip to the Cape, it might have a listing of deaths on
> board.
>
> Thanks again,
> John.
>
>
>>From: Russell <>
>>Reply-To:
>>To:
>>Subject: Re: [ZA-EC] Settler Correspondence - Thomas BRINT / BRENT
>>Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 22:05:14 -0700
>>
>>Dear John
>>
>>It is indeed our mutual ancestor, and what a pleasure it is to be able to
>>read such living history. I was pleased to see that our ancestor was quite
>>literate. He is also modest. He neglected to mention that he was present
>>at Trafalgar on board the Sirius as a Royal Marine.
>>
>>BRENT/BRINT seems to have been pretty much exchangeable until it became
>>entrenched as BRENT in South Africa.
>>
>>Apart from Thomas and Sarah, the two children mentioned by M.D.Nash, I
>>have John b. 1818 and Charles b.1819. They appear in one of the London
>>lists. Several children died of measles on the Kennersley Castle, and I
>>suspect they may be among them.
>>
>>Many thanks to Sue for her fantastic work.
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Russell
>>
>>----- Original Message ----- From: "John Hunt" <>
>>To: <>
>>Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 4:58 PM
>>Subject: RE: [ZA-EC] Settler Correspondence - Thomas BRINT
>>
>>
>>>Sue,
>>> Keep them coming. The letters are my favourite read of the day and I
>>> save many of the fascinating ones. Thank you for the first one
>>> concerning my family. Thomas Brint is called Brent in M. D. Nash and in
>>> our genealogy (Probably derived from Nash). It may be worth checking
>>> the spelling on the original letter. But there is no doubt this is the
>>> same man, though he says he has 4 kids and Nash has him with 2. Perhaps
>>> others on the Brent tree would comment.
>>>Regards, and do keep them coming.
>>>John Hunt.
>>>
>>>
>>>>From: Sue Mackay <>
>>>>Reply-To:
>>>>To:
>>>>Subject: [ZA-EC] Settler Correspondence - Thomas BRINT
>>>>Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:17:50 +0100 (BST)
>>>>
>>>>Transcribed from CO48/41 at the National Archives in
>>>>Kew, London
>>>>
>>>>407/408
>>>>Glostershire
>>>>Aug 19th 1819
>>>>My Lord,
>>>>Having been informed that it is the intention of
>>>>Government to assist a number of individuals to
>>>>emigrate to the Cape of Good Hope, I should be happy
>>>>to participate in the favour. I have seen an article
>>>>in the Gloster Journal containing the conditions on
>>>>which the Government purpose to assist persons who are
>>>>willing to emigrate. I have accordingly made
>>>>application to my Parish officers to know their
>>>>?opinions? of the business and they have agreed to
>>>>advance the money required. I have also been in
>>>>expectation of further information relative to the
>>>>proper person to whom I may apply and also the time
>>>>and place of embarkation but receiving no satisfactory
>>>>account on this subject I have found myself under the
>>>>necessity of addressing your Lordship and here I
>>>>observe that I have seen a letter which one of my
>>>>neighbours has received from your Lordship from which
>>>>I learned that it was not the plan of Government to
>>>>[take] individual application. The reason therefore
>>>>for my addressing your Lordship is because I cannot
>>>>obtain the necessary information from any other
>>>>quarter. The information which I humbly request of
>>>>your Lordship is that your Lordship will have the
>>>>goodness to direct me to whom I may apply so I may
>>>>give in my name. I am a poor man with a wife and four
>>>>children under fourteen. I have been engaged in HM
>>>>Service and have a salary from Government for
>>>>servitude and since discharged at the conclusion of
>>>>the Peace by intrest and since being discharged have
>>>>not had employment to support my family and should
>>>>therefore be glad to embrace the opportunity of
>>>>emigrating to the place where I have already been and
>>>>I like the country extreemly well. I therefore shall
>>>>wait your Lordship's pleasure for an answer and remain
>>>>your Lordship's most obliging and humble servant
>>>>Thos. BRINT
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Send instant messages to your online friends
>>>>http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>==== SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE Mailing List ====
>>>>To subscribe or unsubscribe send your message to to
>>>>
>>>>(if in mail mode) or
>>>>(if in digest mode)
>>>>
>>>>==============================
>>>>Search the US Census Collection. Over 140 million records added in the
>>>>last 12 months. Largest online collection in the world. Learn more:
>>>>http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>==== SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE Mailing List ====
>>>Please trim unnecessary text from replies, leave enough to give context.
>>>
>>>==============================
>>>Census images 1901, 1891, 1881 and 1871, plus so much more.
>>>Ancestry.com's United Kingdom & Ireland Collection. Learn more:
>>>http://www.ancestry.com/s13968/rd.ashx
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>==== SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE Mailing List ====
>>Having any problems? Please contact me OFF-List so that I can assist.
>>
>>
>>==============================
>>Census images 1901, 1891, 1881 and 1871, plus so much more.
>>Ancestry.com's United Kingdom & Ireland Collection. Learn more:
>>http://www.ancestry.com/s13968/rd.ashx
>>
>
>
>
> ==== SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE Mailing List ====
> Please trim unnecessary text from replies, leave enough to give context.
>
> ==============================
> Census images 1901, 1891, 1881 and 1871, plus so much more.
> Ancestry.com's United Kingdom & Ireland Collection. Learn more:
> http://www.ancestry.com/s13968/rd.ashx
>
>
>
> --
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> Version: 7.1.392 / Virus Database: 268.6.0/342 - Release Date: 17/05/2006
>
>


This thread: