SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - William ADAM
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 10:49:19 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed by Rowena Wat from CO48/41 at the National
Archives in Kew, London

12
No 48 Merchant Street
Bristol 20th July 1819
My Lord
Understanding that it is the intention of his
Majesty’s Ministers to send out such persons as may
wish to leave their native country, to establish a
colony near the Cape of Good Hope, I humbly take the
liberty of addressing your Lordship on the subject and
humbly hope you will pardon me doing so as I am
unacquainted with any other mode by which I can make
an application. I have been many years a Clerk In His
Majesty’s Navy, and was paid off about three months
back from H.M.S. Antelope, and can produce
certificates from all the Captains I have sailed with
of my good conduct. As it is out of my power to obtain
a situation on shore that would procure me a
livelihood, I humbly take the liberty of offering
myself to your Lordship, as a person who would gladly
and thankfully embrace the opportunity of going out to
the Cape of Good Hope, or any other of His Majesty’s
Colonies and should feel truly grateful to your
Lordship, should you think me worthy of filling any
office which may be established in the Colony.
I have the honour to be with the highest respect
Your Lordship’s most obedient humble Servant
Wm ADAM