SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - John BROWN
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 17:37:37 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed from CO48/41 by Deborah Laing. Letters
below by three separate John BROWNs

BROWN, John (1)

205
Town Street
Seven Dials
July 16, 1819
Hon Sir,
Having read in the publick papers that an address was
agreed to in the Honourable House of Commons on Monday
last, to allow people to emigrate to the Cape of Good
Hope, I beg leave to offer myself to your notion. I
have a wife and no family, am by trade a taylor but
not having sufficient employ to support myself is the
reason I thus intrude on your kindness. Should a
reference to my character be necessary, I beg leave to
refer to the Mr. DOLEMAN, No.1 Tavistock Street,
Covent Garden or Messrs Walker & Ligs, ??ford Street,
Covent Garden.
I am Sir,
Your humble Servant
John BROWN

BROWN, John (2)

219/220
24 Henrietta Street
Covent Garden
London, 20 July 1819
Sir,
I beg to submit myself to your notice to relating to
the new settlement at the Cape of Good Hope. I am
ready to deposit £100 & take ten persons agreeable to
the regulations adopted by Government and shall be
glad to meet your wishes in every respect. My object
is to be among the first settlers who go out and
besides pursuing agriculture, to establish a store on
the coast for Goods from Europe as well as for the
shipping of grains. I beg humbly to submit also to
His Majesty’s Government as Agent Factor or
Correspondent should one not be already appointed for
the reception of vessels persons or stores that might
follow my arrival out, or in any capacity in which my
knowledge & mercantile connexions might be deemed
useful. I have a knowledge of the Irish Procurement
Trade and Business, and generally speak the French
language. 32 years of age, and unmarried I am known to
some Gentlemen of the House of Commons and can offer
the highest testimonials for character, responsibility
etc. If this anthem of my views should meet with your
consideration I shall be happy to enter more minutely
into the subject .
I remain Sir,
Your most Obedient
Humble Servant
John BROWN

227
24 Henrietta Street
Covent Gardens
London, 22 July 1819
Sir,
I have done myself the honour of addressing two
letters to you and the Colonial office – one
supporting a settlement in the Cape of Good Hope, the
other supporting the terms upon which land could be
claimed in New South Wales. Upon both subjects I feel
interested. Should I not have made my enquires in a
proper manner, or with sufficient authority I hope I
shall be pardoned which arises from my ignorance of
forms in addressing public authorities. I applied to
a personal friend of mine for the honour of a personal
introduction, but he has gone out of town earlier than
he expected but gave me permission to use his name as
an immediate influence, if necessary.
R.G. Baker, Esq, Temple a friend of your brother who
would on his return to town bear testimony to what I
advanced in mine of the 20th respecting capability in
the event of any trust being reposed in me. Hoping
you will pardon the liberty I take, I remain
Your most Obedient Humble Servant
John BROWN

BROWN, John (3)

433
6 Brick Lane
Whitechapel
Aug 24th 1819
My Lord,
I beg pardon for the liberty I have taken in
addressing you to know whether I can be accommodated
with a free passage and a grant of land for myself my
wife and one child to the Cape of Good Hope. Am
agreeable to the proposals. Our ages are myself 24 my
wife 20 years and child 4 months. I can raise about
£80 to lay out on necessaries.
I remain my Lord your obedient humble servant
John BROWN