SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: "Becky Horne" <>
Subject: CRAVEN & HAYWARD Link
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 09:23:06 +0200

Hi Peter

Remember this?

<< Tannie Reina was born Reina Laubscher HAYWARD, and is well known as
the district historian and HAYWARD genealogist. I trust that somebody
with an interest in HAYWARD genealogy and history will avail themselves
of an opportunity to "download" this dear old lady's immense store of
knowledge. >>

Did you miss this?

<< James and Mary HAYWARD emigrated to the Cape Colony in 1820 aboard
the HMS Weymouth and settled near Salem. After the Fourth Frontier War,
in 1834, the HAYWARDs moved near the Winterhoek Mountains with their
eight children. Their third eldest son, George Nathaniel John, bought
the farm "Noorspoort" in 1863. The farm has been in the family ever
since. "My great grandfather, George Nathaniel HAYWARD, only had four
daughters. The eldest daughter's eldest son then inherited the
homestead," said Danie CRAVEN, grandson of his namesake, famous South
African rugby player and administrator "Doc" CRAVEN, as he was widely
known. George inherited the farm from 'Doc' CRAVEN in the early 1980s.

SOURCE: Weekend Post, 15 April 2006

Maybe you are aware of this?

A. John CRAVEN, b. Steeton Yorkshire 6 August 1837, d. Cape Colony
Africa 1890.
b1. James Roos CRAVEN, b. Lindley OFS 28 Jun 1882; m1. Maria Susanna
HARTMAN
Children:
c6. Daniel Hartman CRAVEN, b. "Steeton", Lindley OFS 11 Oct 1910; d.
Stellenbosch, 4 Jan 1993, aged 82 yrs.
m. Steytlerville abt. 1936, Beyern HAYWARD, b. abt. 1916; d.o. George
Nathaniel HAYWARD, b. 26 Jul 1886 and Johannah LAUBSCHER, b. abt. 1892
[Three children].

Do you think that this is the correct family descent?

George Nathaniel John HAYWARD, s.o. James HAYWARD, b. London, 22 Apr
1794; m. Mary SKINNER, b. Kent, England
John James HAYWARD, s.o. George Nathaniel John HAYWARD, b. abt 1827 &
Dinah Johanna Susara DU PISANI, b. abt. 1832
George Nathaniel HAYWARD, s.o. John James HAYWARD, b. 1859 and Jacoba
Christine BELLINGAN, b. abt. 1863

Do you think I am on the right track when thinking that there is a
connection between Wally and Nantie HAYWARD with the above family line?

Wally HAYWARD, b. 10 Jul 1908, d. Jhb. 2 May 2006 aged 97
HAYWARD last ran the Comrades in 1989 - at the age of 80.

Nantie HAYWARD, SA Fast Bowler - living

Still unable to find Thomas HAYWARD, father of Anne Margaret HAYWARD,
but what about this? Do you think Anne's father was known as Thomas but
his full name was William Thomas?

DEPOT KAB
SOURCE MOK
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 1/1/4
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 181
PART 1
DESCRIPTION HAYWARD, WILLIAM THOMAS. DECEASED ESTATE PAPERS.
STARTING 1873
ENDING 1873

Vic, do you have any HAYWARD MI recordings for Steytlerville?

Oh, one more thing, I have also managed to obtain the book -
"Steytlerville se Onderons" by L. J. SCHOONEES, which I see you have a
copy. On pg. 221 there is a photograph of the Winterhoek Cricket Team.
Isn't this the Tom PATTERSON you have been looking for?

For those of you looking for links in Steytlerville, unfortunately there
is no index and mostly in Afrikaans, but I'm willing to look for further
leads. Just need somebody to translate from Afrikaans to English. Sorry
guys, just no time at the moment, but I hope to get back into the swing
of things soon.

Best wishes
Becky

This thread: