SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - Benjamin FABIAN
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:49:02 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed from CO48/43 at the National Archives in
Kew, London

223
Flathouse
Portsea
Sept 23 1819
Sir,
In consequence of having little or no employment at
present I am induced to make application to go to the
Cape of Good Hope under the System now Establishing. I
am a Boat Builder &c Twenty six years of age and in a
good state of health – I have a wife and two children,
the eldest not five years old.
I shall be particularly obliged if you will
condescend to favor me with a reply, stating if I may
be permitted to go, and at what time I must be ready
to embark, so that I may be able to settle my business
previous to my leaving my native place.
I shall also esteem it a favour if you will inform me
the difference in expence if I should go alone or if I
should take my family. Your early reply will much
oblige.
Your most obedt hble sevt
Benjamin FABIAN

225
Flathouse
Portsea
Sept 28 1819
Sir,
I am exceedingly obliged for your early reply to my
former letter and shall esteem it a particular favor
if you will forward me a Duplicate of the Conditions
of Emigrating to the Cape of Good Hope
I am Sir
Your very obdt hbl sevt
Benjamin FABIAN