SOUTH-AFRICA-EASTERN-CAPE-L Archives

From: Sue Mackay <>
Subject: Settler Correspondence - Charles EVANS
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:44:09 +0100 (BST)

Transcribed by Alan Keightley from CO48/43 at the
national Archives in Kew London

23
No. 28 Fendall St.
near Bermondsey Church
London
Sir
I called at the Colonial office, respecting the
intended settlement at the Cape of Good Hope and was
desired to address my enquiry to you for information.
I beg to know when vessels are intended to depart from
hence, and what distance is the intended settlement
from Cape Town - and what tonnage is allowed each
family.
As it is not so easy to muster five families, I beg to
be informed if my family of wife, child & girl can
engage a passage singly.
I intend to make cultivation my pursuit - here, I have
followed it with a mercantile profession.
I am respectfully
Sir your most obed't s't
Cha. EVANS

76
No. 28 Fendall St.
Bermondsey Church
London
Sir
I received your favour of 28th of July. I beg leave
now to forward the annexed list of persons proposing
to go as settlers to the new Colony at the Cape of
Good-hope.
Waiting your instructions
I am respectfully
Sir your most obed't serv't
Cha. EVANS

Name/description of the person taking out settlers
Cha’ EVANS Agricultur’t 42
Wife Mary 26
Henry 7
Jane 12

Names of settlers,Profession or trade,Age,Names of
women,Age,Male children,Age,Female children,Age
Will’m S. JONES,Tobacco & Vine Dr,22
Thos LEONARD,Carpenter,32,Sarah,30
W’m CURT[EYS],Labourer,22,Jane,21
H’y NELL,Butcher,23
H’y BOOTH,Labourer,22
Tho’s TROTMAN,Labourer,19
Isaac BOOTH,Labourer,25,Jane,28,John,3
G. NICHOLLS,Labourer,20
R. PALIN,Labourer,21
John WATTS,Shoemaker,36
James SAGE,Labourer,21,Elizabeth,23
Tho’s HUGHES,Labourer,22
J. BISHOP,Labourer,37
Alex’n ADAMS,Labourer,42
R’t
DICKENSON,Labourer,44,,,Frederick/Alfred/Henry,11/9/6,Amelia,13
W’m BABB,Baker,45
Total
17 men
5 women
5 male child’n
2 female do.

79
No. 28 Fendall St.
Bermondsey Church
London
Sir
I beg to refer you to the ltr I addressed to you the
27th ult and shall feel obliged by an early reply, as
it will require some little time to make arrangements
for proceeding to the Cape.
I am respectfully Sir
Your most obed’t sev’t
Cha. EVANS

86
Copy

Sir
I duly received your favour of 28th July. I now beg
leave to forward the annexed list of 17 men, 5 women &
5 children who propose to go as settlers to the
intended colony at the Cape of good Hope.
Waiting your instructions
I am respectfully
Sir your most obed't serv't
Cha. EVANS
No. 28 Fendall St.
Bermondsey Church
London

Copy

Sir
I addressed you the 27th ult. I shall feel obliged by
an early reply as it will require some little time to
make arrangements for proceeding to the Cape.
I am respectfully
Sir your most ob’t s’t
Cha EVANS
Cha. EVANS

No. 28 Fendall St.
Bermondsey Church
London
Sir
I am still without your reply to the annexed list
which I have anxiously looked for. I will yet hope
disappointment will not attend my labor & expenses in
forming a select party.
I remain, with respect
Your most obed't [hb’l] serv't
Cha. EVANS

Name/description of the person taking out settlers
Cha’ EVANS Agricultur’t,42,Mary,26,Henry,8,Jane,13
Names of settlers,Profession or trade,Age,Names of
women,Age,Male children,Age,Female children,Age
W. S. JONESTobacco & Vine Pltr22
H’y NELLButcher,23
H’y BOOTHLabourer,22
Tho’s TROTMANLabourer,19
Isaac BOOTHLabourer,25Jane28John3
G. NICHOLLSLabourer,20
R. PALINLabourer,21
Tho’s LEONARDCarpenter,32Sarah31
W’m CURT[EYS]Labourer,22Jane21
J. BISHOPLabourer,37
Alex’n ADAMSLabourer,42
R’t DICKENSONLabourer,44-
,Frederick/Alfred/Henry,11/9/6,Amelia.13

John WATTSShoemaker,36
W’m BABBBaker,45
James SAGELabourer,21Elizabeth23
Tho’s HUGHESLabourer22
Total
17 men
5 women
5 male child’n
2 female do.
NB this is a copy of what was sent in the 27th
September 1819

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

This thread: